• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

lighting LED Grow light for a 4x1.5 shelf

I am thinking about replacing the old T5 Bulb fixture that I have on one set of shelves with some sort of LED fixture. The shelf is 4' wide by 1' 8" deep. Looking for good coverage. Any experts out there that know what I should be looking for? Much appreciated.

Not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, and I am not trying to dissuade anyone from using LED fixtures.

I know LED are more energy efficient, last longer, have a wide variety of configurations and are becoming increasingly affordable.

I still prefer T5HO because; I can easily and quickly change lamps to different light spectra, one lamp or all of them and everything in between.

One other advantage I believe the old tech has, is the ability to change broken or burnt out components easily, and said components are usually readily available.

I can also use linear LED lamps. I am trying the AgroMax 6400K in my fixtures this year.

Downloaded the Photone app for my IPhone14.

Under my ghetto rig (T5HO):

Phone centered under fixture, 14 inches down, using 20lb. copier paper for diffuser.

4 @ 6500K Spectralux = 281 PPFD with diffuser, 382 PPFD without diffuser.
4 @ Eye Hortilux FS+UV = 132 PPFD with diffuser, 340 PPFD without diffuser (not sure how well the app measures the UV spectrum).
2 @ AgroMax 6400K LED & 2 @ Fluvial SeaActinic = 365 PPFD with diffuser, 558 PPFD without diffuser.

Total of all lamps = 775 PPFD with diffuser, 1510 PPFD without the diffuser.

These reading are with default CFL settings, have not paid to unlock the other light types/color spectra.

(EDITED for clarification)

Ordered Lightray diffuser for more accurate measurements. Will update results once received.

Last edited:
Back