• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

leggy plant

I have one plant that I started later last season and have kept it through the winter. It is leggy due to lack of light and movement. Is there a way to thicken it up at this point?

Thanks in advance

You can put some wind on it. You can also bury most of the stem. If you go with the wind you might have to stake it a bit first. If you do make sure you give it some wiggle room so it can move.

Not really a problem. Well not really if you have $30 to spend on your overwinter operation.

You've already identified what your problem is. Give it some light (a CFL bulb and fixture at your local hardware store will be less than $15), and some mechanical stimulation (a simple box fan at the same store should cost <$10).

I give my indoor plants 18-6 light and 3 hrs a day of full throttle fans (I recently bought a 2-pack of simple electric timers at my local Home Depot for $4.97).

I got multiple indoor plants setting fruit atm under these conditions.

The mechanical stress from the fans will strengthen their branches, the light source will discourage further legginess, and of course when you decide to go outside and re-pot/put them in the ground, you should bury the stalk up as far as you need to better secure its base.

Back