• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds leggy seedlings help

my seedlings are very leggy. been told to bury the stem a bit just wnna no how far can i actually bury them without killing them?

You can easily bury them up to the cotyledons without harm, and perhaps further (I buried a few up to the second node last year specifically because they were a bit leggy). You should keep them a bit on the drier side the more you bury them, as moist soil is what promotes stem rot, and if you bury them straight down the bottom of the pot will be moister than the top anyway. It may take a few weeks for new roots to grow off the stem, depending on the age of the seedling. You can also carefully plant it horizontally so the roots are closer to the surface and the stem is near or at the surface of the soil, and roots will still form along the stem. Again, you always run the risk of stem rot/disease depending on the growing conditions.

This still wouldn't solve your leggy issue unless you get them more light though... the new growth will continue to stretch so long lighting is insufficient.

I would recommend fixing the problem with your growing conditions that are causing the plants to become leggy to begin with. If it isn't possible for some reason....then what they said :hell:

You can easily bury them up to the cotyledons without harm, and perhaps further (I buried a few up to the second node last year specifically because they were a bit leggy). You should keep them a bit on the drier side the more you bury them, as moist soil is what promotes stem rot, and if you bury them straight down the bottom of the pot will be moister than the top anyway. It may take a few weeks for new roots to grow off the stem, depending on the age of the seedling. You can also carefully plant it horizontally so the roots are closer to the surface and the stem is near or at the surface of the soil, and roots will still form along the stem. Again, you always run the risk of stem rot/disease depending on the growing conditions.

This still wouldn't solve your leggy issue unless you get them more light though... the new growth will continue to stretch so long lighting is insufficient.

like he said about the lighting.
im new to all this, and have some that i never got a chance to get under any type of light. they are some leggy little bastards. personally afriad of burrying them. But may now try it on one or 2. maybe just let the pots soak up water from the bottom.
and the light these little guys get is daylight. so maybe 8-10 at this time of year..
next year will be different.. i hope. lol.

I was getting pretty worried about one of my baccatums... Till I looked them up and heard other people saying the same thing.

in daylight, the 4 of them had grow about 6 inches, and the stem was less than half the diameter of a pencil lead. the wind blows them around like crazy, but they just keep getting taller. still only on their first set of true leaves.

I brought them inside, set them under a flourescent (to keep them out of the wind and the cold night tonight) that is as close as I dare...

If its growth habbit, nothing else can be done in terms of lighting that they are not getting outside.

Are all of them leggy or just some? If some, that just might be their growth habit. Baccatums are like that, but they stop growing up so fast at a certain point and start getting sturdier.

That's what I noticed. Some just grow more leggy.

Back