• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Leifi 2020 - Learning the hard way

So, I thought I'd start a glog, primarily to keep track of what I am doing and when, to remember next year what went wrong and what went well, and to force some order into the chaos that is my growth.

Glog is starting a bit late perhaps, considering the growing has been going on since late July 19, not sure if those are true Ow's, or just a reeeeaaally early start of 2020 season...?

This is my first ever pepper grow, I am quite hooked already, and planted some more seeds yesterday, although I have already run out of space. Usual story, it's my impression from other Glogs!

Quick resumé of the History:
July 19, first seeds planted.
3 Yaki blue
2 Urfa
2 Criolla da cocina
2 Jalapeño
2 Trinidad Perfume
2 Pablano
100% Germination rate!

All went well for a while, the plants grew well in the summer light. Indoors. In windows facing north west, cuz well. No options!

Around sept, I put up 6 x 20w LED.

Then I almost killed many plants by overwatering when temperatures dropped. (my apartment gets very hot sunny summer days, at least 5C over the outside temp) Alot of leaf drop, but everyone pulled through.

Then, a massive infestation of fungus gnats. Took a lot of work. I am not sure how I got them in the end, but it included covering every pot in 50mm of perlite/or plastic wrapping to deny access to soil.

And then, November, I realised what was killing my grape vine cuttings - red spider mites, which of course had spread to all peppers. And multiplied. Yried several weeks of neem oil/soapy spray, but it didn't quite work until I did a total defoliation of every plant, AND sprayed what was left with soapy neem.

Success, celebrated by some more seeds in the ground:
2 rocoto allanta rojo (both germ in 5 days!)
2 Citron
1 Lemon blended yellow
1 Aji lemon
2 Tomatoes: Muddy Waters

Everything took again!

Went away for 2,5weeks for Christmas. Neighbour on waterduty, managed to miss (thus killing) one Yaki Blue, my darkest and most beautiful specimen!

Since then I have been mostly neglecting the grow, mostly wondering why tf the new seedlings arent really taking off (still look 3 weeks old after 4 months), and a few weeks ago I realised it is not only the suboptimal light, but also, some nute deficiency (Mg suspected, Epsom treatment started), lock out, or compacting problem. So Last week I did a repotting of almost all of them into hopefully better potting mix.

And! Tomorrow is the first ever harvest planned! A tiny tiny red Poblano! Impressed by how a struggling plant can produce a fruit like that!

Here is the tiny fruit of my stuggles...!
IMG_20200504_205149.jpg

You can also see the health status of the plant with the yellowing leaves...!

And here is a summary of the crops. Note the pots on pots, to get the small ones to get some light too...
IMG_20200504_205622.jpg

Presently thinking of buying a HPS, and moving a precious few to the office. Some will also be gifted, and some will get an outdoor life at my parents place, once it's slightly hotter and the schedule allows it!

Don't get an HPS - they are old, fragile tech that produce tons of heat and they cause internodal stretching which is not what you want during seedling / young plant phase.

See my glog and the results with a modern lamp: HLG 260w RSPEC. 

Aha, looks like a real nice lamp and a great Sauna you have!

You get me tempted Podz, and here I was, planning to NOT go bananas buying top of the line gear, expanding the grow area, planting a ridiculous number of seeds. But maybe... Resistance is futile?

Leifi said:
Aha, looks like a real nice lamp and a great Sauna you have!

You get me tempted Podz, and here I was, planning to NOT go bananas buying top of the line gear, expanding the grow area, planting a ridiculous number of seeds. But maybe... Resistance is futile?

If you are gonna go old tech for seedlings and young plants then metal halide would be the correct spectrum - you get a more compact growth. Nothing sucks more than starting plants indoors and then they are a meter tall before you can put them outside, where they likely snap in half during the first strong wind.

This lamp I have now is full-spectrum meaning that it produces tight internodal growth but it is also capable of taking plants all the way to harvest. As well, it has excellent canopy penetration and you see a whole lot of lateral growth. I am highly considering buying a second one so I can cover the entire sauna.

Rocotos won't generally set fruit indoors - they just drop their pods after a day or two. In order to set fruit, they need about 10c temp difference between day and night. You can try spraying them with cold shower right before lights out, for example. Sometimes that can trick them.

Rocotos can easily tolerate 3-4 celcius at night for a few hours or so. Even an hour or two of 1c won't hurt them as long as they have frost protection. Mind you, it will slow them down for a while. We are still in both those ranges here depending on the night and I don't want mine to slow down so they are coming in at night.

podz said:
Rocotos won't generally set fruit indoors - they just drop their pods after a day or two. In order to set fruit, they need about 10c temp difference between day and night. You can try spraying them with cold shower right before lights out, for example. Sometimes that can trick them.

I will differ with you on one variety: Turbo Pube. I got 15-20 good size pods from my first Turbo, which wouldn't even flower until I brought in and set it on a south-facing window sill. I agree with the cold spritz, CaneDog suggested that to me a season or two ago, I believe it did work to some degree...

Hey Leifi, have a great season!

Thanks Stettoman!

And thanks for advice. So only the Turbo pube stands out from other pubescens on indoors you mean? And yes, i have been doing a little spraying. Soon enough I'll be keeping windows ope at night, and they will have 10C drop in temp at night. Keeping my fingers cross it will work indoors. Balcony might be to dark, I am still running a bit of artificial extra light on it.

Update, repotted 2 plants today. Both in Air-pots and doing quite poorly. This little Urfa Biber is 9 months old, and has not been cut down. But has been near death a few times..!

Reading up a bit, It seems clear I overdid the perlite, so they have had trouble keeping the water. Also trouble watering, tray not high enough, water splashes out the sides onto the (wooden) floor if top watering.

I reckon some would just throw it out and go for some up and coming seedling instead. My focus is on learning though, so I'm thinking I will experiment and see what happens with a soil (and pot) change, if I can make it recuperate or not...!

Presently not happy with Air-pots for indoor use. probably a lot better if you can splash water all around. Will give it another go in the future, with less well drained medium. And/or trays high enough to make a wicking hydro thingy out of them.

Also, first Jalapeño is getting ripe, hooray!

And roots are looking good at Grodan cubes! I read someone's glog past weekend about rock cubes and airpruning, so I just elevated them 10mm with net pots - "you can't imagine what happened next!"... But of course you can, roots came out!

Attachments

• IMG_20200507_191343__01.jpg
    IMG_20200507_191343__01.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20200507_194939.jpg
    IMG_20200507_194939.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20200507_191005.jpg
    IMG_20200507_191005.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 75
Back