• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Leifi 2020 - Learning the hard way

So, I thought I'd start a glog, primarily to keep track of what I am doing and when, to remember next year what went wrong and what went well, and to force some order into the chaos that is my growth.

Glog is starting a bit late perhaps, considering the growing has been going on since late July 19, not sure if those are true Ow's, or just a reeeeaaally early start of 2020 season...?

This is my first ever pepper grow, I am quite hooked already, and planted some more seeds yesterday, although I have already run out of space. Usual story, it's my impression from other Glogs!

Quick resumé of the History:
July 19, first seeds planted.
3 Yaki blue
2 Urfa
2 Criolla da cocina
2 Jalapeño
2 Trinidad Perfume
2 Pablano
100% Germination rate!

All went well for a while, the plants grew well in the summer light. Indoors. In windows facing north west, cuz well. No options!

Around sept, I put up 6 x 20w LED.

Then I almost killed many plants by overwatering when temperatures dropped. (my apartment gets very hot sunny summer days, at least 5C over the outside temp) Alot of leaf drop, but everyone pulled through.

Then, a massive infestation of fungus gnats. Took a lot of work. I am not sure how I got them in the end, but it included covering every pot in 50mm of perlite/or plastic wrapping to deny access to soil.

And then, November, I realised what was killing my grape vine cuttings - red spider mites, which of course had spread to all peppers. And multiplied. Yried several weeks of neem oil/soapy spray, but it didn't quite work until I did a total defoliation of every plant, AND sprayed what was left with soapy neem.

Success, celebrated by some more seeds in the ground:
2 rocoto allanta rojo (both germ in 5 days!)
2 Citron
1 Lemon blended yellow
1 Aji lemon
2 Tomatoes: Muddy Waters

Everything took again!

Went away for 2,5weeks for Christmas. Neighbour on waterduty, managed to miss (thus killing) one Yaki Blue, my darkest and most beautiful specimen!

Since then I have been mostly neglecting the grow, mostly wondering why tf the new seedlings arent really taking off (still look 3 weeks old after 4 months), and a few weeks ago I realised it is not only the suboptimal light, but also, some nute deficiency (Mg suspected, Epsom treatment started), lock out, or compacting problem. So Last week I did a repotting of almost all of them into hopefully better potting mix.

And! Tomorrow is the first ever harvest planned! A tiny tiny red Poblano! Impressed by how a struggling plant can produce a fruit like that!

Well well, wouldn't you know, it happened to me too! Got busy, lost habit of updating. A summary in a few steps:

Because of ever changing plans, on 10th of June, I packed a big bunch of plants, and moved them to the summer house. looks like this isn't going to be an indoor glog after all...!
IMG_20200612_123316__01.jpg

Dug up some lawn and put them there, with Compost and cow manure.
IMG_20200615_150027__01.jpg

Gotta learn the secret of removing plants from pot. An old saw became handy...
IMG_20200615_143930__01.jpg

But wait, I foresaw this problem, and tried small pieces of weed barrier cloth with a few plants. left it about an inch above soil on 2 sides. worked like a dream to just lift up (and rip a few roots of while removing cloth). Maybe biodegradable would be optimal, just leave it there..!
IMG_20200615_151206__01.jpg

2 weeks later, inspection. Almost all plants happy. Those which were smaller than about 20cm (2/3') seem to struggle a bit and get eaten by slugs.

Rocoto, Yaki Blue and Jalapeño setting pods nicely!
IMG_20200627_133125__01.jpg
IMG_20200629_135629__01.jpg
IMG_20200628_115613__01.jpg

Meanwhile:
Started to dig up the Lemon tree in my balcony a week earlier, after it dropped all leaves for a second time this winter in November and then just looked dead, when I realized it still looked Ok! I gave it water for the first time in months, and voila!
IMG_20200618_170615__01.jpg

Also, Kratky tomato in 2l/half gallon container going crazy. Have been refilling every day, it drinks almost 1l per day on hot days. giving it sometimes water, sometimes hydronutes, totally randomly. Over 1m high in 6 weeks!

IMG_20200630_192453__01__01.jpg

... And then, on July 1st, I went to Greece. Going to stay here 5 weeks, so the destiny of my plants are with other ppl and my karma.

Couldn't resist bringing a few small left over plants though.
IMG_20200702_183226__01__01__01.jpg

Never saw such hard and heavy clay soil in my life. Trying to dilute it with some organic left overs...!
IMG_20200705_133215__01__01.jpg

Spent 5 days hardening them off, and they are planted with noon shade. hope the will make the 2500km move south!

podz said:
The secret to removing plants from the pot is to squeeze the sides of the pot first.
Oh I squeezed all right! and tapped. and knocked. And so on. Never had this problem this much before. might be these particular pots which are giving me a hard time!

It's strange you can't get the plant out of the pot. I've had that issue with grow bags because the roots grow into the bag. I thinking it has more to do with the grow media sticking to the inside of the pot.

With the lemon tree I will make a scratch on the trunk with a knife, if it's green under the bark it's not dead yet.

That tomato plant is pretty cool it's growing for the sky. A few more weeks you are going to have a plant too big to fit thru the door.

I recently transplanted a couple rocotos I left in Dixie cups way too long and, though they usually pop right out of the cups, these guys basically cemented themselves to the plastic sides.  I did the usual squeeze and such and still could not get them to come out. When I tugged at them I could hear/feel the roots tearing and it just wasn't going to happen without serious damage.  I ended up cutting the plastic and then tearing it off the root ball which worked fine. Anyhow, it was really a surprise that they attached to the non-porous plastic so firmly.

Hope your people take good care of your plants while you're away.  On the bright side, in 5 weeks when you go back and see your peppers they're going to be huge!

podz said:
So did you drive from Sweden to Greece or how was it you took the plants along with you?
Ha! Good question! No, we took a direct flight, although greek authorities claimed that would not be possible...! https://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/2020/06/29/no-direct-flights-from-uk-sweden-to-greece-until-july-15/

... Never trust a greek politician...!

The EU rules makes it ok to export/import plants for private use, if you make sure they seem healthy.

The plants were brought in a 2liter plastic beer jug, after playing some tetris with them. 2 rocotos in small soil containers, and 1 big jim and a Marbles in small grodan cubes. And one Mentha in wet paper towel, wich was kept in a glad of water and just sent it roots. All doing well.

I seem to have missed taking a photo, but here is a pic of the jug. It was indeed quite crowded and a bunch of leaves were broken off, but who cares. They will recuperate!
IMG_20200708_153720__01.jpg

With the lemon tree I will make a scratch on the trunk with a knife, if it's green under the bark it's not dead yet.

That's about what happened, I cut the stem at about half a meter to make it easier to handle while throwing away. And saw quite a lot of green and said to myself - That doesn't look quite dead...!

That tomato plant is pretty cool it's growing for the sky. A few more weeks you are going to have a plant too big to fit thru the door.[/quote]

Yeah it's stretching a bit, it is in a North west window. Let's see if next door lady manages to keep it alive!

I recently transplanted a couple rocotos I left in Dixie cups way too long and, though they usually pop right out of the cups, these guys basically cemented themselves to the plastic sides.

This might be it..! They were kept too long in this container. The containers also have some features in the bottom, probably too increase rigidity or possibly to reduce root boundness. See pic!
IMG_20200615_144214__01__01__01.jpg

The Rocoto should be just fine with no direct sun.

Dappled shade is best for them, at least in our
climate here in the Pacific NorthWEst.

... and we have fruit!

The tiny Marbles is flowering and fruiting, about 20cm high..
IMG_20200727_122824__01.jpg

For a couple of weeks I think nothing happened. Usual after transplant I reckoned. Then I saw the Yellow giant had branched out. Checking with the out jug, yes it did grow quite a bit!
IMG_20200727_122940__01.jpg
IMG_20200727_122949__01.jpg

Yup, one more week to go here. In the middle of nowhere, about 2 hrs northwest of Athens..

Rumour has it that in Sweden, at least the yaki blue and Jalapeño is ripening. Report will follow!

Back