food Lentil-Turkey "Chili"

Here's what's goin down in the kitchen tonight:

3114195203_33e5a4791d_b.jpg

Chop the onion & garlic, then sautee it. Add the turkey & brown it. Add everything else you see, bring to a boil, cover & simmer 25 min til lentils are tender. Its 1tbsp chili powder, 1 tsp cumin, as much paprika & other peppers as you like, salt & pepper to taste.

3114195989_0bcefdd50a_b.jpg

This is it w/ everything together, it's thicker after cooking. Delicious and healthy take on chili.

looks good & I bet it tasted good also. but if you think turkey will always make it a healthy choice dont be so sure on that thought. granted turkey in general is healthy for you than beef but when it comes to ground turkey it can have just as much fat as ground beef depending on the supplier/brand. so I'd check the nutrition list & even compare price vs ground beef at the same level 85/15 93/7 (or close to it since turkey dont go by that)

I'm just saying cuz I've found some ground turkey to have the same fat & some with less fat than ground beef.

I usually buy the lean one but they were out and it was only $2.10 for 1.2lbs. I dunno why they were packaged in 1.2lb packages, that's just weird. I did drain the fat after browning, so that probably helped a bit.

And as far as beef I grind my own :) Nothing beats a medium-rare fresh-ground burger w/ a buttered, toasted english muffin for a bun.

I wasn't aware you could use chili and healthy in the same sentence!

Keep 'em coming txcloset, your cooking always gets me to cooking too.

Looks great..I'm a big fan of lentils.

I made something similar the other day but used rice instead...good eatin'!

Made another batch of "chili". This time with tons of heat, I threw in 1 each of the following: Dorset Naga, Trinidad Scorpion, 7 pod(still frozen from what AJ sent last year). Also threw in about 6 dried Red Limo chiles, tore in half. Used some nice dark San Antonio chile powder blend & a whole lot of smoked sweet paprika. Can't forget the fire-roasted diced tomatoes, I'll never buy plain diced tomatoes again! I have to resist the urge to eat the whole can every time I open these.

Scorpion, 7pod, Naga left to right:

3850944556_aee7b47916_b.jpg

Bubbling away, should be ready in about 20 min. More pics once it's done!

3850944572_d119b42aea_b.jpg

Turned out to be pretty damned hot, just how I like it. Had a nice slow building heat that left me sweating pretty good. I'm glad I have enough to eat on for about a week :)

3851257666_874ef66b02_b.jpg

More of a spicy lentil soup, but looks great!

texas blues said:
Chili? Right. It might be good but...awe shit...I don't wanna' start a fire. WIN...sorta'.

Salute', TB.
LOL

Looks yummy from here. :)

I need to make more rice and legumes myself.
Dern summertime...I don't feel like it much, but I should as it's good for me.

SeeYouJimmy said:
Hey that looks awesome TX. I prefer mine a bit thicker but I could make this with a bit less stock. Very nice. 2 thumbs up.

It comes out a bit thicker once it sets a couple minutes off the heat, the lentils suck up almost all the juice. I'll have to post a 2nd day pic to show what I'm talking about later. Just like any chili/stew/soup/etc this gets better over a couple days in the fridge.

texas blues said:
Chili? Right. It might be good but...awe shit...I don't wanna' start a fire. WIN...sorta'.

Salute', TB.

And you got your ""s around the word Chili lol, I'd call it hot lentil turkey stew but its not my original recipe :lol:

Back