• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Lessons learned in "My First Hydro"

Ok, so my little 4 head hydro DWC bucket was doing fine. 2 weeks ago while I was spraying all the soil plants with fish emulsion I figured hey why not add some to the solution as well.

DO NOT DO THIS!!! It foams, and encourages brown algae(or something) growth, that clings to the roots, and gets all gunky(yes a highly technical term). Some type of worm thrives in the hydro solution. I think it comes from in the Fish Emulsion, but I don't know how they make the stuff so I don't know if they sterilize it or what- but every other little hydro pot that I have even just foliar sprayed has developed these things. Cleaned the pots, new solution added peroxide... Still had worms in the solution and crawling on the roots. Minor amount of brown gunk growing on the edges.

On the advice of the kid at the hydro store I added some BT to the solution.
DO NOT DO THIS!!! It foams and while it may have helped with the worms in the solution, it didn't take care of the ones living in the hydroton. Algae growth has exploded. The roots look like dreadlocks now. Pulled all the pots from the lid, soaked each one independantly in cup per gallon of peroxide to water. hand cleaned the gunk off the roots. I'm still finding worms in the hydroton. Breaking down everything except the 3 inch pots to sterilize, new airline...,

Gotta go put it all back together now.
Let the admonitions begin...

Been there, done that, experienced no long term damage!

It's strange because last winter, I added fish emulsion to the hydro nuits, though in a small amount - like three caps-fuls per 30 gallons of water. Worked a treat - no problems.

Mike

yeah the 4 look pretty good today although a little leaf curl, which I think came from the peroxide. There was a little grey gunk on the roots when I pulled them for a looksee, but that could be some shedding, perhaps another nute change and peroxide bath and the problem may go away.

After inspecting them today, I will have to strip them from their net pots, soak the plants roots loose in some peroxide solution, and clean and sterilize the net pots and hydroton. Perhaps move them to individual DWC buckets to isolate the problems.

Why do you think the cause of the worms is the fish emulsion? I have used fish emulsion quit a bit and never had any problems with worms. I think it's just a coincidence. I recall reading about hydro worms on maximum yield website a while back and I recall something about temps getting too hot in the hydro unit which caused algae problems and worms to grow. Since you also have algae that may be the issue. I even recall reading about a "treatment" you can add to they hydro to kill them without harming the plants.

After inspecting them today, I will have to strip them from their net pots, soak the plants roots loose in some peroxide solution, and clean and sterilize the net pots and hydroton. Perhaps move them to individual DWC buckets to isolate the problems.
If you want to, go for it! I didn't find it necessary. Just washed the roots off and stuck them back in the DWC.

Mike

Why do you think the cause of the worms is the fish emulsion? I have used fish emulsion quit a bit and never had any problems with worms. I think it's just a coincidence. I recall reading about hydro worms on maximum yield website a while back and I recall something about temps getting too hot in the hydro unit which caused algae problems and worms to grow. Since you also have algae that may be the issue. I even recall reading about a "treatment" you can add to they hydro to kill them without harming the plants.

The real problem is the algae or fugus or root rot or whatever it is. A whole section of the roots came off in my hand, so I have to get it straightend out. Do you happen to recall what the "treatment" was? Or it that only for the worms?

The micro DWC that is in my shop window developed worms too after I sprayed the plant & hydroton down with mix from the clean jug I mixed in my workshop. My workshop I have been keeping at 80F. The worms problem is a concern because I don't know what type of worms they are. I don't want to sound Paranoid but marine worms can be tissue boring parasites. Fish emulsion = marine. I spent 2 weeks in ICU once in the last 12 months, I don't want to spend more time with some Dr. House wannabe trying to figure this out.

Back