• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

"LETHAL From Birth...."

I think the line is borrowed from the 1st jurrassic park.

My grow space is somewhat limited and compact.

Today I brought most of my plants out into the first natural light they have ever seen.

THE QUEEN, my monster 7 pot plant overwintered, lived up to her name.

She had a dime sized pod nestled beneath her folds, despite my efforts at bud pinching.

Previous experience told me that such an immature pod would be mild at best. Rather than waste it entirely as just another pinch, I popped it into my mouth...

THE SIZE OF A FREAKING MARBLE......

GOD DAMN IT....I SPAT IT OUT....

I curse myself now, but how was I to be prepared????

I swallowed a bit and then it became too much, lol.

The thing was SOOOOOOOO Hot.

I put hab powder on every other meal, I eat scorpions at 5 lunches a week......dear god I love that 7pot pepper....;)

The overwintering may have been a factor, but I remember jalapenos that were full sized having no heat....

This thing was GREEEEEEN.

Don't ....understand.....must....carry...on......

I did something similar the other day with a mere jalapeno - a tiny little red thing with no seeds from an over-winter. I sliced some off the tip and BF tried it to see if there was any heat - yes, a bit. So I popped the rest of the pepper into my mouth and started chewing. It took me by surprise and I inhaled some of the juice so I had spit the rest out and cough for a bit. I'm looking forward to eating this plants offspring's peppers in a month or so.

I think new pods on an overwintered plant grow a bit different(usually hotter) than first pods on a seed plant(ofen weak and seedless), probably due to several months of stress

Yes you are right Potowie.

If it had been undersized and ripe.....well, I would have known better!;)

Runt ripe peppers are the hottest.

That little bite really got me eager for the first real harvest!

It boggles the mind, but a 7 POT that was water deprived after pods started to form, would ripen little marbles of death, hotter than anything else in nature.

cheezydemon said:
It boggles the mind, but a 7 POT that was water deprived after pods started to form, would ripen little marbles of death, hotter than anything else in nature.

I think I read somewhere that stressing the plant out by with holding water makes it produce hotter than average pods. I don't understand why, but it must work. Hope the rest of them, when they come in, are as hot.

Think of it like this: The plant is IGG, the water is beer. Keep the water from the plant and it gets ornery. Make sense?

It's got to do with reproductive "evolution". The plants make there pods hotter if stressed so that stupid animals don't eat them, hence making sure that there will be seeds for next season.

If you water "normally" the plant thinks everything is sweet with the local and knows that there will be many pods to carry on its genetics, thus it doesn't produce as hot pods.

I thought it had something to do with the birds. Hotter pods don't bother them like it does the local animals because they don't 'taste' capasaicin. The birds are more likely to travel further and poop the seed.
Could be a myth?

The plant doesn't know squat about birds, but if hotter pods somehow are more likely to germinate and therefore pass on their genetic info, the trait becomes more prevalent.

Chinese crested dogs, which believe me, were marked for extinction, are kept alive and thriving by stupid humans who continue to breed them.

The result enforces the traits. People love ugly dogs, so the traits remain.

Back