• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Letting My Jalapenos Ripen

He is totally right. Green jalapenos will not ripen off the plant unless they already started to ripen and never store peppers in your fridge, they last longer at room temperature. Patience sucks. It is the hardest part of raising peppers but it will reward you with a better quality harvest in the end.

Yep - leave them on the plant till they turn -- just harvested about 30 of them today and made some poppers this evening - it's worth the wait !

Honestly, I'll go against the grain and say pull them. Why?? Because it is mid August right now and you probably have time for one more crop before the cold weather comes. If the peppers stay on the plant, you won't get near as many new flowers in the next couple of weeks. If you pick the peppers, that will encourage new flower growth.

Let the next (and last) crop of the year stay on the plant until red.

putting them in a paper bag with a banana will get them to ripen.

I can't keep up with my Jal plants right now, I pull 50/50 for all my blends. I am smoking between 3 to 7 pounds a week of Jals alone. I have found red on the plant is not the same red as when placed in a bag. Maybe most cannot tell but I did a few tests last fall. 

Be patient.... mine just started turning red.  I'm gonna make it easier to deal with by leaving town for a couple nights!

Red on the plant seems to give the flavor a little bite like black pepper (the peppers taste errrr...peppery). If they ripen off the plant they are still sweet, but they don't have that extra kick.

Back