• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Lettuce Talk Greens

I love greens, and eat quite a bit of them. I like kale, mustards, arugula(rocket), beet greens, dandelions, spinach, watercress, bok and pak choy lots of different herbs as well, and other types of unknowns to many like New Zealand spinach, endive, mizuna and a few others I cannot think of at the moment. I plan on growing most of these next season, and experimenting with ferments, including hot sauces. I also collect some wild greens every now and then such as purslane.

Took Asian ginger to unhealthy places ... in the best way ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433896721.874379.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433896730.955466.jpg

Then it just became obscene, really ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433896766.041596.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433896775.442389.jpg

Oh well. Not the worst craving, the dressing's not that oily and the calories were acceptable ...

Sunshower in process here ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433896851.662874.jpg

Green.

So I walked into my favorite Italian/European grocery import store and always check out the olive oils that are in the first isle. They have some truly outstanding Extra virgins that are quite pricey. It wasn't the oil that caught my eye though, it was a $10 bottle of black currant vinegar that did. Hmmm, I bet that would be great in a salad dressing. So I picked it up. Wait. I can't make a proper salad dressing with the cheap EVOO I have at home. Better get a bottle of the good stuff. $23. Now I am up to $33 for a salad dressing and I have no salad. Off to the grocery store, mixed greens, baby spinach, dried cranberries, dried raspberries, walnuts, shallots, grape tomatoes check. I didn't keep track, but I am betting this is a $50 salad. I have done lost my mind. The dressing is the vinegar, evoo, shallots, salt n pepper, and orange juice.

102_0019_zpszzu0vveg.jpg

102_0020_zpshuwycgvy.jpg

Attachments

• 102_0019_zpszzu0vveg.jpg
    102_0019_zpszzu0vveg.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 87
JayT said:
So I walked into my favorite Italian/European grocery import store and always check out the olive oils that are in the first isle. They have some truly outstanding Extra virgins that are quite pricey. It wasn't the oil that caught my eye though, it was a $10 bottle of black currant vinegar that did. Hmmm, I bet that would be great in a salad dressing. So I picked it up. Wait. I can't make a proper salad dressing with the cheap EVOO I have at home. Better get a bottle of the good stuff. $23. Now I am up to $33 for a salad dressing and I have no salad. Off to the grocery store, mixed greens, baby spinach, dried cranberries, dried raspberries, walnuts, shallots, grape tomatoes check. I didn't keep track, but I am betting this is a $50 salad. I have done lost my mind. The dressing is the vinegar, evoo, shallots, salt n pepper, and orange juice.
attachicon.gif
102_0019_zpszzu0vveg.jpg
attachicon.gif
102_0020_zpshuwycgvy.jpg
Ddaammmmmm JayT that looks amazing!!! I'm a salad eating machine and that is one beautiful looking bounty of deliciousness!!!! How was the flavor with that vinegar?

I will be growing several different greens this winter. Varieties of lettuce, spinach, greens, broccoli, chard, kale,brussel sprouts, cauliflower, carrots, onion, peas, garlic.  

Big fan of red leaf lettuce for salads, sandwiches, etc.

I mostly eat mustard greens...mostly. Boiled then simmered lid off for about an hour with bacon, onions, garlic, and whatever peppers I have on hand. Shattah aren't too hot and have a nice bitter taste that goes well with really really cooked down sweet onions and greens.

Back