• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Light Box

Hiya all, very informative and busy site here!
Im new to this but enjoying my 4 plants and looking forward to a bit of a grow operation.

Looking for any input or tips on building a light box.
I reckon i want something a little bit like this (stole this pic from around here btw).

DSC00238.jpg

DSC00239.jpg

Basically, a medium sized tub that i will buy from somewhere, with a cheapish CFL lamp.
Il probably line the walls with something reflective, maybe add something that will add heat.

Things im concerned about:

Fans. Im happy putting a couple of computer fans in to circulate the air, but how would i power them?

Heat. Ill have to experiment, not sure how much heat the light will produce. Not keen on leaving something hot on for a long time in an enclosed space. Fire risk, forget the chillis!

Any tips on constructing a light box will be well received, hopefully this could be a decent topic, thanks in advance.

Hi there. These seem to be cheap for Cfl's. Get the daylight 20w+ ones.

http://www.lampspecs.co.uk/

Computer fans can be powered by an old transformer you have lying around. From a portable radio or modem ect. They are the big black plug things. You need the secondary voltage to be 9 - 12v DC. Alternatively a variable voltage transformer from maplins will do the trick.

How many plants are you thinking of having as this will affect the amount of lights you need.

Heating shouldn't really be required. Have a hole low down for air to be drawn in and a fan towards the top sucking out. The cfl's should give enough heat during the day and if you place somewhere warm at night. Maybe you can find a compromise.

I just did a test order on the website and its cheaper to order 2 30w cfls than one!

There is a surcharge for orders under £9.

Chris

I used a large cardboard box on it's side and 2 metal clip on lamps with CFL bulbs for my lamp box. Since the plants where only in the box for a couple of weeks I didn't want to spend too much time on one. Plus with the box open on one end I was able to put a small fan in front on them to help them from getting too leggy. After a couple of weeks of that it was off to the closet where they got a 400 watt MH light that really made them grow.

When you guys say 'leggy', what do you mean?

Im thinking faster growth makes for weaker stems, rather than slow tougher stems.
Is that what you mean by leggy? Faster weaker stems?

Wunder said:
When you guys say 'leggy', what do you mean?

Im thinking faster growth makes for weaker stems, rather than slow tougher stems.
Is that what you mean by leggy? Faster weaker stems?

Exactly.

Back