• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Light burn or fert deficiency?

I really need your help since this is my first time growing inside and i don't want to loose any of my seedlings.

This is what my one of aji cristals looks like:

42309811.jpg

53516196.jpg

So what do you think happened to this leaf?

FYI:
I always bottom water, every 6 or 7 days.

Today i used some epsom salt (1/2 tablespoon in 1 lt) in all my seedlings (14 in total).

I bought some Chilli Focus but i have't used it yet. I am planning to use it next time (next week).

Thanks in advance!

Did you spill something on the leaf? Ferts possibly or did you spray them? I don't give seedlings anything but good soil and water, I've be interested to read the responses of the pros. Good luck with your plants :)

Looks like over watering to me. Fert burn would effect every leaf? Was that leaf touching something like the side of the cup or the soil? If so it could of been a bacterial/fungal thing.

I say remove that leaf and don't worry about it, enjoy your weekend.

P.S. dont give them anything else until they get about twice that size.

looks like the leaf is simply damaged by some sort of fungus or w/e. dont worry about it.

your plants are in coir? and you havent fed them yet?
give them something. your chili focus at like half strength should be fine. keep in mind the chili focus is likely not going to have much calcium in it so you might get some calcium nitrate.
calcium cannot be mixed with sulfates at high concentrations. many micronutrients are sulfate salts. Ex: copper sulfgate

at high enough concentrations calcium reacts to make calcium sulfate which is nearly insoluble. please see "common ion effect"

i feed my plants full blast 2 ec. when they are just barely showing real leaves at full strength. the thing is to understand that when plants are very very small, they are consuming VERY little of the nutrients you are watering into the soil.

so... when you do feed, you need to
A.
water with ferts, then tap water.etc.

or B
water them with plenty of runoff untill they are farther along.

or C
water half or quarter strength.

i go with B because i just walk outside and scoop a pitcher of nutrient solution out of my fertigation system. i dont bother diluting it with tap water because it would raise the ph somewhat significantly.

only time i have burned plants was with fabric pots. they would dry out in a day inside the tent because of the fan and heat etc... then without thinking i would water in more nutrients... after doing that like 5 times, the plants just barely started to burn.

nutrient burn is just simple hypertonicity. the plant burns because at a certain molar concentration water will flow out of the plant cell membranes and into the hypertonic solution in an attempt to equalize the osmotic pressure.

see cellular osmosis.

Did you spill something on the leaf? Ferts possibly or did you spray them? I don't give seedlings anything but good soil and water, I've be interested to read the responses of the pros. Good luck with your plants :)

Thanks WalkGood. Today (yesterday) was the 1st time i fert the seedlings (some epsom salt) and never sprayed them with anything.

Looks like over watering to me. Fert burn would effect every leaf? Was that leaf touching something like the side of the cup or the soil? If so it could of been a bacterial/fungal thing.

I say remove that leaf and don't worry about it, enjoy your weekend.

P.S. dont give them anything else until they get about twice that size.

Thanks Cayennemist. I'll remove the leaf. I'm pretty sure it wasn't touching anything. I water them every week and i check the soil with a toothpick to see if it's wet. It looks like a bacterial thing though. It's not crispy at all.

looks like the leaf is simply damaged by some sort of fungus or w/e. dont worry about it.

your plants are in coir? and you havent fed them yet?
give them something. your chili focus at like half strength should be fine. keep in mind the chili focus is likely not going to have much calcium in it so you might get some calcium nitrate.
calcium cannot be mixed with sulfates at high concentrations. many micronutrients are sulfate salts. Ex: copper sulfgate

at high enough concentrations calcium reacts to make calcium sulfate which is nearly insoluble. please see "common ion effect"

i feed my plants full blast 2 ec. when they are just barely showing real leaves at full strength. the thing is to understand that when plants are very very small, they are consuming VERY little of the nutrients you are watering into the soil.

so... when you do feed, you need to
A.
water with ferts, then tap water.etc.

or B
water them with plenty of runoff untill they are farther along.

or C
water half or quarter strength.

i go with B because i just walk outside and scoop a pitcher of nutrient solution out of my fertigation system. i dont bother diluting it with tap water because it would raise the ph somewhat significantly.

only time i have burned plants was with fabric pots. they would dry out in a day inside the tent because of the fan and heat etc... then without thinking i would water in more nutrients... after doing that like 5 times, the plants just barely started to burn.

nutrient burn is just simple hypertonicity. the plant burns because at a certain molar concentration water will flow out of the plant cell membranes and into the hypertonic solution in an attempt to equalize the osmotic pressure.

see cellular osmosis.

Thanks queequeg152. My seedlings are not in coir. The soil is a mixture of humus, perlite, peat moss and regular ground soil (i didn;t make the mix, i bought it from a local store).

This was the first time i ever give anything to my plants. And all i did was to add a half tablespoon of epsom salt when i water them (bottom water, not sprayed).

I 'll definately read about common ion effect and cellular osmosis, thanks for pointing these out to me.

For now i'll go with the c, since the plants are still small and in solo cups. After transplanting outside, i'll do b.

BTW, whats the "w/e" you mentioned?

Back