• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

lighting Light distance from seedlings?

What is the proper light distance from seedlings? I know it matters with what type of light, but a low watt full spectrum grow tube from Walmart for example. Researching on the internet of course you can get 2 totally different answers, one I looked at said 1-3 inches, the other said 18-24 (assuming that is probably a fairly strong light) I suddenly have to go out of town for the weekend so they are fresh under the light as of this morning, they been growing in the seed trays that have little cheap full spectrum led’s in them, but now under the tube light. Here’s the
Light in question, i have some Mattapenos that popped first and are trying to get leggy before the others. Just don’t want to come home to a disaster. Thank you in advance for any help

Well I tried it with seeds which I know are viable.
Maybe I snipped too much of the nose off... or too little.
Maybe the pads were too wet... or too dry.
Maybe the temperature was too warm... or too cool.
Whatever the problem, after 36 hours, still no sign of a sprout.
Has anybody else tried this? Either with or without success?
After just a little more than five days, two of the three seeds have sprouted, which I think is about average for Jalapeños anyway. At least I know I didn't destroy the seeds by cutting off too much of the nose, so I may just try again, snipping off just a touch more to see if I can get them to germinate overnight.

Attachments

• IMG_20240317_200253_156.jpg
    IMG_20240317_200253_156.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 17
After just a little more than five days, two of the three seeds have sprouted, which I think is about average for Jalapeños anyway. At least I know I didn't destroy the seeds by cutting off too much of the nose, so I may just try again, snipping off just a touch more to see if I can get them to germinate overnight.
I am definitely going to try this next year.

Let us know how it goes.

I am definitely going to try this next year.

Let us know how it goes.
Will do. I'm off to Scotland in a couple of weeks and don't want my wife to have to take care of seedlings for me - kind of just hoping most of my young plants will still be alive when I get back 😅 - so I'll try it again towards the end of April once I'm home.

Back