Light Frost

As the title suggests they are calling for a light scattered frost tonight in my area with a forecast low of 37 degrees. I know with a frost it is more than just temperature, it is also humidity and wind.  I am not worried about the plants i have in my raised bed, if they die or are damaged it is no big deal i just have some peppers ripening on them that i can live without. I have several peppers in 5-10 gallon pots that i am more worried about.  I plan on overwintering 4 or so for the first time, and i have several others that i would like to survive long enough for them to finish ripening the pods on them. So the question is, can i just cover these with a "scattered light frost" in the forecast or do i need to bring them indoors to my garage? The ones i am overwintering i will be pruning back if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance for any help.

We have had 5 nights in the last month 36 to 40 degrees and my thai's are still plugging along. Last year 34 degrees was the temperature that killed the rest. Covering them will prolong the season.

Yes if it's only getting down to 35 or higher then covering them is enough, BUT personally I don't trust the accuracy of my weather reports much, but at least they usually err on the side of predicting temperatures colder than they end up being.

However if you plan to overwinter them anyway then it might be time to consider bringing them into the garage at night anyway because being shocked by cold temperatures can (usually will) cause them to start dropping leaves, but if they stay in the garage during the daytime then they will probably drop a few (but fewer) leaves from that too.

Dave2000 said:
Yes if it's only getting down to 35 or higher then covering them is enough, BUT personally I don't trust the accuracy of my weather reports much, but at least they usually err on the side of predicting temperatures colder than they end up being.

However if you plan to overwinter them anyway then it might be time to consider bringing them into the garage at night anyway because being shocked by cold temperatures can (usually will) cause them to start dropping leaves, but if they stay in the garage during the daytime then they will probably drop a few (but fewer) leaves from that too.

Thanks Dave, this is pretty much what i did.  I covered the plants that weren't going to be overwintered with sheets and I put the ones i am overwintering in the garage just in case.  Looks like it is going to be fairly mild for the next week before it gets cold again.  i think by then everything that i wanted to ripen will have done so by then and i can let nature takes it course on the ones i'm not overwintering.

Back