• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Light Green Leaves?

Despite appearing relatively healthy, a few of my plants have very light green leaves compared to the rest of my plants.  Is this generally do to a nitrogen or nutrient deficiency?  I have been using ¼-1/2 strength fert since I potted them up.  Should I increase the steaghth of my fert when I apply it?

Also, with nitrogen deficiency, you may notice some of the lower leaves turning yellow. That seems to be the case with a couple of the plants in the picture.

I just had one of my over winter plants go yellow on me after being seemingly healthy.

Had nothing to lose so decided to repot it in case it was a soil thing and when I took it out the bottom half was saturated.

Somehow the drain holes had closed up so in my case it was unintentional overwatering.

Gonna cost you nothing - Check that the drain holes are not blocked

My plants looked just like that so I hit them up with some 18-10-30 fertilizer and they are getting that dark, lush green back.  If they are not waterlogged like the above post discussed, I would definitely step up the nitrogen.  Nice plants btw.

some can be genetics ,  whats your fert. makeup ?   should of been using  full strength back in  may .  I would bump up to a full balanced fert. 

I had the same issue with my plants when they were younger. I started top dressing with worm castings and it solved it. So it was obviously a nute issue but it was strange cuz they were in new potting soil so it should have been good but i guess not.

It might be a soil pH problem causing a nutrient issue instead of a lack of actual nutrients in the soil. Check plots such as this (general and not specifically for pepper):
Soil-pH-Nutrient-Availability.jpg

Have you tried measuring the soil pH?

moruga welder said:
some can be genetics ,  whats your fert. makeup ?   should of been using  full strength back in  may .  I would bump up to a full balanced fert. 

What Moruga said.  Do you have more than one of each type?  If so and one is deeper green, my vote is for over watering.  That and nitrogen deficiency can look very much alike.  I -think- over watering prevents nitrogen uptake maybe.

I think it is very possible that my issue is from over watering.  I checked the drainage holes and I might have made them too small; soI drilled out the existing holes with much larger ones.  When I removed the drill bit the soil in the bottom of the containers was like soup.  Hopefully this will resolve my problem.

jswieton said:
Despite appearing relatively healthy, a few of my plants have very light green leaves compared to the rest of my plants.  Is this generally do to a nitrogen or nutrient deficiency?  I have been using ¼-1/2 strength fert since I potted them up.  Should I increase the steaghth of my fert when I apply it?

How are they doing? After some Epsom salt and med high N feet and some pruning mine are getting back to health. I'll post pics tonight.

Elpicante said:
How are they doing? After some Epsom salt and med high N feet and some pruning mine are getting back to health. I'll post pics tonight.

I haven’t noticed anything yet.  I just topped dressed my plants with some nitro bat guano, so I’m sure it might take a little time to see some results with the nitrogen.  I’m hesitant to hit my plants with full strength chemical ferts because I did amend my soil with some blood and feather meal which I inoculated for 60 days before poting up my plants.  My next step is testing the soils PH levels.  I picked up one of those cheap PH tests from my local hydro store today.  I will test the soil when I get home from work tomorrow.  Since my plants are growing and producing fruit at this point I just want to take it slow and try and use process of elimination to figure out what’s going on with my plants.

jswieton said:

I haven’t noticed anything yet.  I just topped dressed my plants with some nitro bat guano, so I’m sure it might take a little time to see some results with the nitrogen.  I’m hesitant to hit my plants with full strength chemical ferts because I did amend my soil with some blood and feather meal which I inoculated for 60 days before poting up my plants.  My next step is testing the soils PH levels.  I picked up one of those cheap PH tests from my local hydro store today.  I will test the soil when I get home from work tomorrow.  Since my plants are growing and producing fruit at this point I just want to take it slow and try and use process of elimination to figure out what’s going on with my plants.
Good strategy!

Some people will tell you that pH levels don't matter that much since, if you have good soil, there's quite a buffering effect and Capsicum spp. can accommodate itself to quite a span of pH (5-8 or so; although >7 will most likely not result in ideal growth). Locally the roots can change the pH even if the bulk is off. However, this is still non-ideal and assumes good water. If you water with alkaline water with a high alkalinity this could possibly be a problem due to build-up. I know I have that problem now, but my water is quite extreme (pH 8.4 and 1.52 mEq/L alkalinity).

It's a good idea to at least test the pH to, if nothing else, at least be able to confirm that it's good. Ideally you'd like around 6 with 5-6.5 being fine. Outside that you could consider adjusting it.

I did the PH test and my levels seem ok.  They are maybe a slight bit alkaline but nothing crazy.  However, my problem seems to be getting worse instead of better.  I was looking at my plants and I came across a few peppers that look like they have some sort of blossom end rot or some other disease.  After closer inspection it also seems like all of the new pods that are forming on most of my plants are extremely small.  The Pods that have been there for a few weeks seem to be normal size but all of the new pods look terrible.  By the looks of these photos can anyone tell me what’s going on with my plants?

Calcium maybe I had similar happen to my cubanellas and topped dressed some bone meal will see if the upcoming buds are healthy.

jswieton said:

I haven’t noticed anything yet.  I just topped dressed my plants with some nitro bat guano, so I’m sure it might take a little time to see some results with the nitrogen.  ...

Good stuff, IMO.  Your plants should come down with a nice case of Bat Crap Fever within the week! 

Back