Light timers

Time to buy another timer.  I use multiple timers to keep the amps down to any one, staying below their ratings, but I get the feeling their ratings are a bit off.  They seem to wear out every few months.  They don't melt or anything.  Have heard horror stories about that.  They just stop working.

Without sending me to the indoor grow store to spend a fortune, does anyone have a brand or type recommendation I can purchase at lets say Lowes or the likes.  Hell, maybe buying them from Lowes instead of Walmart is an upgrade all by itself.

This work?

31DJO-b584L.jpg

T101 Intermatic is rated for 120v, or the next one up for 240v. A T101 can be wired male/female plug-end.

15A timers aren't rated for the type of load a ballast draws (assuming HID), and can eventually spark/catch fire. Anything higher than 1kw should ideally be wired with a relay.

ajdrew said:
Time to buy another timer.  I use multiple timers to keep the amps down to any one, staying below their ratings, but I get the feeling their ratings are a bit off.  They seem to wear out every few months.  They don't melt or anything.  Have heard horror stories about that.  They just stop working.

Without sending me to the indoor grow store to spend a fortune, does anyone have a brand or type recommendation I can purchase at lets say Lowes or the likes.  Hell, maybe buying them from Lowes instead of Walmart is an upgrade all by itself.
A lot depends on how many watts you running per timer.

miguelovic said:
T101 Intermatic is rated for 120v, or the next one up for 240v. A T101 can be wired male/female plug-end.

15A timers aren't rated for the type of load a ballast draws (assuming HID), and can eventually spark/catch fire. Anything higher than 1kw should ideally be wired with a relay.

A 15A timer cant handle a 10-12A load?

Maybe it depends on the circuitry of the timer. Resistive? Capacitive?

Derp.

Resistive (timer) vs. inductive (ballast) if I recall correctly, though I'm no electrician. Seen enough burnt out timers hooked to 1000w ballasts to avoid them almost altogether, beyond fans/pumps, etc.

I have the hps and mh covered.  These run dinky 40 watt florescent over seedlings,  but I admit a lot of them.  I redid the math and I am under 15 amps.  So I took one that gave up the ghost apart.  The plastic teeth that drive the dial are all frigging rounded and not making contact, not driving the wheel. 

I will never buy timers at wallmart

I wrote down the suggestions and will be looking at lowes and electrical supply tomorrow.  Many thanks.

ajdrew said:
I have the hps and mh covered.  These run dinky 40 watt florescent over seedlings,  but I admit a lot of them.  I redid the math and I am under 15 amps.  So I took one that gave up the ghost apart.  The plastic teeth that drive the dial are all frigging rounded and not making contact, not driving the wheel. 

I wrote down the suggestions and will be looking at lowes and electrical supply tomorrow.  Many thanks.

Never mind my suggestion, they changed the dang add since I first posted it. And I thought you were talking about heavier duty for Hid lights and stuff. 

I've got a few of these with three receptacles that have been around many years. I tape the extra two control pegs to the face with good packing tape for backups when I drop one in the dark and loose it. And I take the silly stake off and screw it to the wall.

http://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-HB1113RC-Outdoor-Receptacles-Weatherproof/dp/B000E8VAIY

Hogleg, thank you.  Was planning on looking in lighting.  Now thinking of lawn and garden, seems like outdoor use would hold up better and hadnt thought of that.

It doesn't say in that description but mine say rated to 1800 watts=600 per receptacle. And you need a cord for power supply. mine are over six years old and still ticking.

ajdrew said:
<SNIP>The plastic teeth that drive the dial are all frigging rounded and not making contact, not driving the wheel. <SNIP>

I gave up on mechanical timers years ago.

I use a Woods 49556 digital timer.

Back