• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Limon(chinense) v.s Lemon Drop(baccatum)

I was wondering the differences between these two peppers(taste, heat and which is more prolific. I have both types of seeds but only room to plant 1 variety. Which would you plant?

That is a great question. I am growing the Limon (Chinense) variety.

I would bet that the baccatum "Lemon Drop" is a bit more subtle than the Limon. Don't really know, though.

I planted both. I'll let you know in 6 months. :P
Every time I hear someone describe the B. lemon drop my mouth waters.

Lemon Drop is a more sprawling plant and the peppers have a slightly thicker, very crisp flesh. The have a very distinct lemon aroma and taste. Limon is a taller plant, and the earliest chinense that I've ever grown. The peppers are thin-skinned, have a habanero flavor, and are hotter than a Lemon Drop. Both are very prolific.

I grow both, and if absolutely forced to chose, would go with the Lemon Drop, but then, I have a baccatuum bias.

Lemon Drop is a more sprawling plant and the peppers have a slightly thicker, very crisp flesh. The have a very distinct lemon aroma and taste. Limon is a taller plant, and the earliest chinense that I've ever grown. The peppers are thin-skinned, have a habanero flavor, and are hotter than a Lemon Drop. Both are very prolific.

I grow both, and if absolutely forced to chose, would go with the Lemon Drop, but then, I have a baccatuum bias.

I've grown the limon & lemon drop.
of course my location has something to do with it compared to other locations.
the limon is a small plant & produced ok. the lemon drop was crazy! it grew close to 3' w/o any problem & branches everywhere w/ pods everywhere!!!
I know other plants are also supposed to grow to 3' but for the lemon drop it wasnt an issue to do this unlike other chinense chiles.

plant the lemon drop, it'll give you ALOT of pods!! also the flavor is good! but if room is scarce then I dont know, cuz my lemon drops grew tall & bushed out just as tall as they grew, but packed full of pods! (to a point you might need to cage them up so the branches dont break from the weight)

this year the couple I grow of these are going into upside down hanging containers.

edit*****

ok my bad I posted that while ....ummm.... lets say not thinking clearly!
no they didnt grow to 3' but they did grow to a very healthy 2'+ or 2.5'
I never measured the plants, so I'm just going off a guess.

groeatrepeat said:
Sorry for my question but it's semi-relevant.

I have some seeds of peppers called "limon grande," what are they like?

I got those as a freebie from peppermania, and I'm growing a couple. I'll let you know how close they are to the limon that I have grown before.

Pam said:
I got those as a freebie from peppermania, and I'm growing a couple. I'll let you know how close they are to the limon that I have grown before.

Same with me, I guess we'l just have to see whose grow first

It's On!:)

groeatrepeat said:
Same with me, I guess we'l just have to see whose grow first

It's On!:)

Ha! Well, at 7 days germination, mine are up, cotyledons raised to the lights in supplication.

Get busy!

Pam said:
Ha! Well, at 7 days germination, mine are up, cotyledons raised to the lights in supplication.

Get busy!

Hah right back at you!

Your big words won't stop me from unlocking the mystery of the limon grande before you!:lol:

groeatrepeat said:
Hah right back at you!

Your big words won't stop me from unlocking the mystery of the limon grande before you!:lol:

No, my superior gardening skills will.

*haughty sniff*

cmpman1974 said:
Pam grows Baccatums? I thought it was nothing with less heat than a Fatalii.

Oh mercy no! Pam *loves* baccatuums! Pam grows bunches of them!They're her favorites!

And, Pam is not growing any superhots this year.

Pam said:
No, my superior gardening skills will.

*haughty sniff*

Hah again(for the 2nd time)! Your superior gardening skills?
I planted My limon grande yesterday, It's fruiting today, and im expecting a ripe pod tomorrow :D

Actually, It's more like this...

I planted my limon grande 1 month ago, forgot to water it for a few days and it died. Then, once all of my other seeds sprout, I burn them by placing them too close to the lights. Then I replant everything and none of my plants have any true leaves except for two.:banghead:

groeatrepeat said:
Actually, It's more like this...

I planted my limon grande 1 month ago, forgot to water it for a few days and it died. Then, once all of my other seeds sprout, I burn them by placing them too close to the lights. Then I replant everything and none of my plants have any true leaves except for two.:banghead:

Heh, welcome to the world of gardening. You can tell a true gardener by the number of plants they killed getting there.

Back