• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

organic Liquid Nutrients - Fox Farm Trio vs Earth Juice (organic methods)

Hey guys,

As a first time grower, i'd like to get some commentary regarding Fox Farm's trio vs Earth Juice's liquid fertilizers (or similar organic) specific to the Pepper world. 

So far I have a great grow of about 15 plants, and just gave them their first feed of "Big Bloom" and "Wholly Mackerel" - both by FF.  However, knowing that the feeding schedule within a couple weeks requires the additions of "Tiger Bloom" and "Grow Big", i've become a little skeptical upon further research that these nutrients are chemical.  

The more I look into the topic, the conversation gets so in-depth and over my head as people suggest "just add this, just add that, make your own tea, etc".  If possible, i'd like to stick to the topic of these "abc-123" nutrient solutions as it certainly helps being a beginner and possibly beyond, since growing is a side project/ hobby but would still like good results.  From what i've read, it seems that maybe "Earth Juice" fits the bill in terms of not being a chemical nutrient, but I don't feel they've packaged things together the way that Fox Farm has. 

Overall I feel Fox Farm's products are great, especially as a beginner they really figured out how to make it easy to get started without being your run-of-the-mill Wal-Mart special MiracleGro, or whatever.  The OceanForest soil seems to be wonderful and the general consensus seems to be in agreement.  Whoever they have running their design / marketing department also gets an A+ from me. 

However, as a company, how can Fox Farm feel confident to make one organic product within that Trio - "Big Bloom", (and proudly advertise this on the bottle) while the other 2 remain chemical?  To me this sounds a bit contradictory, but hey whatever fits the business model to sell, right?    

Growing under T5 lights and in plastic compartments isn't "natural" either, and maybe some of the Organic stuff is overboard. However, what "burns" me, is the fact that you have to flush the soil, and also hearing that these types of fertilizers kill off vital soil elements, etc.  Apparently you cannot re-use the soil either?  All of that just doesn't sound right.  

A buddy of mine told me it doesn't matter much, and that it's really only the chemical pesticides that you have to worry about.  At the end of the day, i'm probably eating much worse from various restaurants in which I have no idea where the food comes from.  But still.. the obsession is real and these are my Pepper Babies.  :)

Any thoughts to all this?  

I think one of the FF liquid nutes carries a warning on the bottle that something in it causes " cancer in the State of California".  All jokes aside, that gives me pause.  I am also considering simplifying my fertilizer regimen to save time and money.  I am using some FREE samples sent to me by Nectar For The Gods, but I am pouring from 6 different bottles.  The plants look good, but I'm not altogether convinced I can't do just as well with some other product/regimen. 

Roguejim said:
I think one of the FF liquid nutes carries a warning on the bottle that something in it causes " cancer in the State of California".  All jokes aside, that gives me pause.  I am also considering simplifying my fertilizer regimen to save time and money.  I am using some FREE samples sent to me by Nectar For The Gods, but I am pouring from 6 different bottles.  The plants look good, but I'm not altogether convinced I can't do just as well with some other product/regimen. 
If your are interested in getting even more confused, here ya go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZg1KaWwIfs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BjbW2KPbTw

CAPCOM said:
If your are interested in getting even more confused, here ya go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZg1KaWwIfs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BjbW2KPbTw
Yup, between those 2 videos, and the 30+ emails from Scott, I don't believe it needs to be this difficult.  Do you want to pay for all those NFTG nutes when they run out?  I'm betting I could keep using the Herculean, and Demeter's, add a fish/seaweed combo nute, and eliminate all the other NFTG nutes.  I'd be down to 3 bottles.  This would be for the indoor, pre-plant out plants.

:rolleyes:  Was nectar for the gods what the OP asked about?

"Known to the state of California to cause cancer" stickers are on friggen everything here. Its a bunch of bullshit.  

I should have been more clear and to the point with my actual question.  The topic doesn't have to be specifically Earth Juice - any brand for that matter who can provide a simplistic 1-2-3 approach the way that Fox Farm does so that I don't have to become a Mad Scientist to get this right- and without the use of chemicals to get it done.  EJ was simply the one that popped up first in my research.  I'd actually welcome more options, as long as they are within the realm of my intentions.  :)

CAPCOM said:
You are correct, sorry, I blew right over that.
My apologies.

zumajoe said:
I should have been more clear and to the point with my actual question.  The topic doesn't have to be specifically Earth Juice - any brand for that matter who can provide a simplistic 1-2-3 approach the way that Fox Farm does so that I don't have to become a Mad Scientist to get this right- and without the use of chemicals to get it done.  EJ was simply the one that popped up first in my research.  I'd actually welcome more options, as long as they are within the realm of my intentions.   :)

I stand corrected. :rofl:

th-3.jpeg

:onfire:

umm, I like  FF. Of the fast acting hydro type nutes, it creates less salts than most in my experience. 

hogleg said:
umm, I like  FF. Of the fast acting hydro type nutes, it creates less salts than most in my experience. 

That's good at least.  You have no issues with it being a non-organic solution?

zumajoe said:

That's good at least.  You have no issues with it being a non-organic solution?

No not at all. Also if I were to go full organic, I would make my own solutions and soil. But alas I'm old and fat and tired, My days of screening rabbit and chicken shit and turning a compost piles, are over. I just wanna pour some juice in a 55gal watering drum and grow stuff.

There is a lot of nonsense information out there passed around.

Conventional fertilizers ("chemical") do not kill microbial life (soil elements), and in the case of Trichoderma and other species, can actually help.

What does happen is that the "microbial loop" that naturally provides soil nutrition is no longer needed and microbial diversity suffers.

Soil can be re used, but it depends on what it is, how you treated it, etc, and it's still good to buffer with fresh.

The "Single Bottle Fert" thread names some of the more popular one part fertilizers, none of which will cause your children to grow extra limbs.

Some organic fanatics are quick to demonize everything that doesn't make The List. I never worry too much about their squaking :D

I've been using the Fox Farm Trio (and other products like Kangaroots Microbe Brew) for several years, and I like the product. No doubt that these products will give great results. It works well on most plants when diluted to the correct strength for the type of plant you're feeding.

With Fox Farm, I find that my peppers are significantly more firm and hold a higher water content as well. One thing that fox farm will run short on, is calcium and magnesium. I supplement it quite a bit.

I prefer a 2-part nutrient system like fox farm when it comes down to NPK ratios, because I can calculate what ratio I want for a specific type of plant. For instance, if you mix Grow Big and Tiger Bloom @ 50% each, it comes out close to a 5-5-5 ratio, which is what I use for the majority of my plants until I find that I need to edge out nitrogen, in which case I use more Tiger Bloom. Big bloom is great for everything all the time. I use it always.

With that being said, I don't follow the feeding schedule at all...

Back