• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Live Plants That Ship Earlier Than Late April/May

I'm thinking about ordering up a half-dozen varieties I don't have seed for. I really dig Chile Woman's plants, but I don't want to wait till May and then fry them immediately.

Chileplants is great, but I don't need 12 plants (I can always split with other Central Texans, though).

Any other vendors y'all use for live plants?

I recommend that you call Cross Country Nurseries (chileplants.com), and talk with them about it. I haven't placed my order through them yet, but from what I've read on their website, you still pick the time that the plants are shipped. However, they also recommend that you wait until spring to avoid the plants getting too cold during shipping - they have no control over how hot or cold the shipper's trucks get. But given where you live, it might make sense to have them ship sooner - a phone call will help you make the best decision.

What are you lookin for EM?

great choices...

the only ones I have tried to grow are the GGPs...never had luck with them here...I may still have some seeds left somewhere if you are interested...

great choices...

the only ones I have tried to grow are the GGPs...never had luck with them here...I may still have some seeds left somewhere if you are interested...

Thanks, AJ. I believe those are annums, so that might actually work out fine. I'll shoot you a message...

Maybe I'll try and dig up some seed first. I'm still planting regularly till mid-February this year.

I think hot stuff said the moon is good tonight, so I'm putting in some more.

Thanks, AJ. I believe those are annums, so that might actually work out fine. I'll shoot you a message...

Maybe I'll try and dig up some seed first. I'm still planting regularly till mid-February this year.

I think hot stuff said the moon is good tonight, so I'm putting in some more.

cool man

Bump. CC seems like an *awesome* place, but I want my annums in the ground here in the next two weeks, else I fear the heat will render them 'sterile' until the fall. I want a spring flush, dammit! :D

I may still order smaller and get some late season stuff from them.

Anywhere else with even mildly reasonable selection? The local gardening places are getting better here, but they still aren't great.

I don't know where you would get any this time of year man...I haven't even started my annuums yet...

I don't know where you would get any this time of year man...I haven't even started my annuums yet...

AJ, have I lost my mind that my peppers ceased production by mid-June last year? It is certainly possible. My brain ain't what it used to be.

If I'm insane in that memory, then I'm ordering up for their earliest possible date. I want some more varieties this year.

300th post!

cool on the 300...

no, you didn't lose your mind...I totally lose July and August pod production for most varieties here too because of the heat...pod set doesn't start again until mid September..

I am going to try and "cool" a couple of places this year in my yard using shade cloth and a misting system...

Cross Country Nurseries is very good, I've with them several times and like Geeme said they've ship when you want. With you being in San Antonio you could probally get them in mid April. Here they're link: http://www.chileplants.com/
Good Luck
Bill

Cross Country Nurseries is very good, I've with them several times and like Geeme said they've ship when you want. With you being in San Antonio you could probally get them in mid April. Here they're link: http://www.chileplants.com/
Good Luck
Bill

Thanks, Bill. My problem is that I want them earlier than April and they (understandably) won't do that. But I'll probably order some late season stuff from them and start the annums myself.

I was just being lazy, and excited about getting shiny new plants in the mail in time for some May burn. :)

Never ordered from Cross Country Nursery. Wow, what a big selection of peppers.
The Honduras Wild really caught my attention, plus a few others.

I ordered up today. Smaller run than I would've with an earlier date, but I'm excited about most of them, as I don't have seed for them.

I'm thinking about ordering up a half-dozen varieties I don't have seed for. I really dig Chile Woman's plants, but I don't want to wait till May and then fry them immediately.

Chileplants is great, but I don't need 12 plants (I can always split with other Central Texans, though).

Any other vendors y'all use for live plants?

Burpee's is very reputable - I have ordered live Hot Lemon and Kung Pao from them before. They have a good selection though not as good as CC Nurseries - but you don't have to order as many plants neither.

Burpee's also has a very nice collection of vegetables and herbs.

I have to put in my two cents on ordering ANYTHING from the BIG seed and plant companies.

Burpee, Johnny seeds, Tomato Growers Supply, and MOST of the seed companies you find in BIG BOX stores are involved with MONSANTO.

Monsanto is one of the largest companies in the world producing GMO products.

Genetically Modified Organisms are trouble. Although I have not seen any GMO Pepper seeds available for sale, they ARE in the works.

I can not and will not contribute to ant company involving themselves with GMOs. I hope I am among alot of people with similar feelings.

The link will show companies linked to Monsanto.....

http://healthimpactnews.com/2011/monsanto-linked-seed-co-s-to-avoid/

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Back