Long time lurker FINALLY saying hello.

I've enjoyed the company of a few here to include some growers since 2017, all without posting (shame on me! -- all via PM)

I've been in a kitchen since a dishwasher at age 15 and in a kitchen for 20yrs with the last 3yrs as a third party health inspector.

Been making sauce for about 10 years and upped my game thanks to lurking here. 

What once started as a small batch sauce for Christmas gifts has turned into a 10gal annual production for friends and family, and it appears the list is expanding for next years build already.

Granted, I no longer have the inspiration to grow all my peppers and haven't for the last 8yrs given the volume... Instead, I hand select them with a specific heat ratio for a relatively consistent sauce (via farmers markets), then rely on a few pounds of super hots here for the fruity heat. I hope someday to write a standardized recipe by devoting a couple ferment jars specifically for that task.

Perhaps someday I'll retire and lease a commissary kitchen (preferably with nice steam kettle and a good smoker) to achieve a mere semi-retirement salary. Would love to do it now but realize the market is saturated with brands. Or not?

Anyway, would love to pick your brains here on overall production. I imagine those doing it as a primary gig have HACCP and possibly CFSSA background or in-depth knowledge of traceback, etc.. Would like to chat on experiences, possibly through PM or email if so inclined. Given the reception of my sauce, the wheels are turning in my head so-to-speak. :P

I'm not going anywhere and love the knowledge I've gained here, plus I need my growers here! I plan to stay even longer now that I'm posting.

Cheers! Eric

kwCJ9l2.jpg

Here's some build photos of this years batch. Once the mash was done I utilized my old chef friend's kitchen for the final build. Without getting specific, I staved the mash this go around for giggles, hot smoked, and processed. Note: If you see something wrong (like the jars not under the brine or weighted, it was just for initial photos, as I corrected):

mxU1idQh.jpg
3OuzQ1Oh.jpg
3Dx0vbnh.jpg
lEyOcK2h.jpg

Says 9/7 on the ferment jars... AC went out and I live in Sacramento area. It was 85F in my house for that month and the jars were singing their own tune, otherwise I would have left it longer. Sauce build was last Saturday as a result.

Awesome Sierra11b!  Really wonderful post and process you have going on there.  If you'd ever like to trade sauces for feedback or compare notes for processing let me know.

Glad you no longer lurk buddy.  :)

Sounds like you have the sauce pretty well figured out thanks for sharing. Best of luck to you taking it full time.

Back