longtime chili head new to the group

Hello to the group. Name is Don. My wife Sherry and I live in extreme Northeast Ohio and I am a Hot Pepper fanatic. Have come to love the super hots and have pretty good success growing in our climate. Looking forward to learning more about how to grow and all the different varieties. Am especially curious about something I recently learned about peppers in general--that they are considered perennial. Watched numerous videos on YouTube about how to overwinter superchilis and gave it a shot this past winter with no success at all. Felt I followed all suggestions...Maybe this isnt true for those in extremely cold climates such as ours. Any experience and info from those who have successfully done this would be greatly appreciated. Again--really glad to be part of this group..Don

Am especially curious about something I recently learned about peppers in general--that they are considered perennial. Watched numerous videos on YouTube about how to overwinter superchilis and gave it a shot this past winter with no success at all. Felt I followed all suggestions...Maybe this isnt true for those in extremely cold climates such as ours. ..Don

I'd start by clicking here.> The Comprehensive Guide to Over-Wintering and peruse the almost 20 pages paying special attention to any posts that may be helpful in addressing your problem.

Then I'd start a thread in that section, Hot Pepper Growing , with info on your attempt like - grown outdoors then transferred to pot & moved indoors - media used in pot - any bugs - etc.

FFMZ9PR.gif

And your USDA Hardiness Zone is 6 A/B

ohio_map_lg.gif

Last edited:
:welcome:from the Pacific Northwest!

Have hope!! This is going to be her third year coming inside.. Capsicum Pubescens 'DeSeda X' or 'DeSorta'. Lower light lover. I didn't even repot her the first two years, while in a 3 gallon fiber pot. I also have a few Annuum that do well indoors with very little pampering. Most of my Baccatum and Chinense don't make it, or look pretty rough by Spring.. Because I neglect them. There are plenty of others on here that do better than I, and are further north.

Good luck!
20211015_235526.jpg

Hello to the group. Name is Don. My wife Sherry and I live in extreme Northeast Ohio and I am a Hot Pepper fanatic. Have come to love the super hots and have pretty good success growing in our climate. Looking forward to learning more about how to grow and all the different varieties. Am especially curious about something I recently learned about peppers in general--that they are considered perennial. Watched numerous videos on YouTube about how to overwinter superchilis and gave it a shot this past winter with no success at all. Felt I followed all suggestions...Maybe this isnt true for those in extremely cold climates such as ours. Any experience and info from those who have successfully done this would be greatly appreciated. Again--really glad to be part of this group..Don
Hi Don!!

Back