• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Looking for a Kaffir Lime plant

Hi,
I'm looking to grow a Kaffir Lime plant? Love cooking Thai food and lime leaves is one of its main spice.
I've been buying frozen at the Asian market but would love to have a live plant in the house.
Is it easy to keep? where can I get one?

Sy

They are not easy to find. I have a 4th year plant now. I was kindly gifted one from a friend in Florida. It's over 4 ft tall now. I LOVE that plant. It's so unique. Try mail order places. My plant never produced fruit so I have no seeds to share. I need to live in the South!

Chris

Sy,
This may be why it is hard to find: from Wikipedia
"Quarantine”
WASHINGTON, June 17, 2010 - The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) is issuing an interim rule announcing a plant quarantine in several states and territories in the United States to stop the spread of citrus greening, a plant disease that greatly reduces citrus production, destroys the economic value of the fruit and can kill trees. The interim rule replaces all previous federal orders related to citrus greening, expands areas under quarantine, allows additional treatment options and provides exemptions for certain fully processed products, such as curry leaves and kaffir leaves. [sup][5][/sup]

Lemoncitrustree.com (I have never bought from them before, just looked for ya)
I see they sell them but not in AZ CA FL SC TX.
And also there is a number of them on Amazon

http://www.fourwinds...s.com/index.php

I have a kaffir lime from them along with dwarf key lime, bearss lime, and improved dwarf meyer lemon. They shipped to MA very well and so far so good. I would recommend them.

They include instructions for keeping the plant indoors. I have no choice, winter here would kill it....

Mine smell awesome Sy. I have wanted them for years and finally took the leap about 2 months ago. I bought 1 year old trees and I may spring for 3 year olds before the summer ends, along with some other trees.

I had a hard time finding Bay Laurel, but I ended up with 6! Overwintering too...

Good luck Sy.

USMC,
They do smell nice... reminds me of Thailand (along with lemongrass & fish sauce)... used to live in Bangkok.
I grow lemongrass, ginger, galanga, thai basil, culantro... just to make Thai food.
I have a bay tree for about 4 years now. I bring it inside for the winter,even though it's very mild down here in NC.

Sy, Please let me know how to root cuttings. I have a kaffir lime too and I'd like to reproduce it. I also have some questions about rooting sprouts from the rootstock. I cut them off so they didn't sap the tree's/fruit's strength, but I want to save them to maybe graft store bought lemons/limes/etc... How do I do it?

Thanks for this post.... Glad to know I ain't the only one...

Sy, Please let me know how to root cuttings. I have a kaffir lime too and I'd like to reproduce it. I also have some questions about rooting sprouts from the rootstock. I cut them off so they didn't sap the tree's/fruit's strength, but I want to save them to maybe graft store bought lemons/limes/etc... How do I do it?

Thanks for this post.... Glad to know I ain't the only one...

Hi Growhot!
Love my new plant. Made a few Thai dishes with it.
I have not root anything from this Kaffir lime yet. I normally use cuttings in the spring when the shoots are new. I used "Rootone" powder and follow their instructions. You can get a bottle of it at any hardware store (Ace, True Values...) I rooted a few Sweet Bay cuttings, and a few other plants. I did it in a cutoff 2-liter soda bottle, keep the top to cover it so you can maintain high humidity for a week or two. When they start showing small leaves, take it off and put it near a window.

Good luck,
Sy

I read that somewhere Sy too. I just needed some backup I guess. I have rooting powder and I'll dig it up and follow the directions. Can't go wrong with root stock! Hope to graft some more citrus/kaffir on the stock! Thanksagain Sy. BTW, my kaffir is FINALLY starting to branch out and my dwarf lemon has buds. I am hoping for one little lemon!

See you in the threads....

Back