• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hydroponic Looking for advice on a home built hydroponic system please.

Hi Dudes and Dudettes. Since a lot of my seedlings were growing too slowly for my liking, I decided to try and build my own hydroponic system, just for shits and giggles. Since I didn't really have the things I needed to do it properly, I adapted a youtube tutorial where the guy used a bucket, and used an old brick of coco coir which I had lying around as a growing medium. Having no idea as to the quality of the brick, I at least had the sense to wash the hell out of it in case it was full of salt :clap:.

I filled the tub with a ½ strength solution of the fertiliser in the photos to germinate the seeds, just so the water had some kind of nutrients in it. Now, around two weeks later, I have a couple of seedlings sprouted, so I reckon it's about time to ask for advice if I don't want them to just die on me straight away.

I tried reading up on what to use as a solution for coco coir, but since there's so much conflicting information out there on the web (well who'd have believed that?), I decided the best bet would be to ask some of you good people with hands on experience what the best way forward is.

I have also read that the pH of the water has to be monitored. Is litmus paper accurate enough for this, or do you meed a pH-meter (or whatever they're called)?

I have also read something about measuring the „EC value“, but don't really know squat about it, so some info there about method and required equipment would also be appreciated :thumbsup:.

As additional information, instead of buying mesh plant cups, I just used plastic beakers and made holes in them with a soldering iron. The water level is just at the very bottom of the beakers, and I have an aquarium pump blowing some bubbles around.

Just as an aside, I have no idea whether I want to really get into hydroponics or not, so I'd appreciate it if any suggestions regarding outlay remain largely in the „budget area“.

Thanks again in advance for any advice you guys can give me :party:.

Happy planting (and harvesting).

Fin.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-06-17 at 13.54.03(3).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-06-17 at 13.54.03(3).jpeg
    110 KB · Views: 123
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-06-17 at 13.54.03(2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-06-17 at 13.54.03(2).jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 66
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-06-17 at 13.54.03(1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-06-17 at 13.54.03(1).jpeg
    94.4 KB · Views: 64