wanted Looking for Capsicum Galapagoense

podz said:
You can get them from Jukka now and then, send him an email and ask him to ping you when they are back in stock.

https://www.fataliiseeds.net/product/c-galapagoense/

You might know already but these don't really drink water through the roots - they require a very humid environment like in the shower room or near it. They also have a very pungent aroma, so your neighbors might think you're growing weed.

I grew a plant years ago. Seed stock is no good now. They did fine hydroponically. I read about how they have shallow roots, but they don't seem to care in a hydroponic environment. If I recall correctly, they gave off a sent when touched. I thought it was more of a tomato-like sent.

Tybo said:
Im growing one this year, in potting mix outside in a 5 gallon bucket and it is doing awesome.  Guess Virginia is humid enough!  I should have some seed soon.  I'll let you know when I do.

Cool. It's been really humid here! I'll let you know what I have then. My capsicum cardenasii survived the winter in the Southeastern part of VA. It set fruit last year, but I read it's self-incompatible. Its mate died from neglect and didn't flower at the same time. However it set seeds. I'm not sure if capsicum chinese  or annuum can fertilize it. I double checked its traits to make sure it was capsicum cardenasii. I have yet to test out the seeds from last year. I'm guessing they're likely infertile hybrids. Maybe I should do a germination test to double check.

Dulac said:
Cool. It's been really humid here! I'll let you know what I have then. My capsicum cardenasii survived the winter in the Southeastern part of VA. It set fruit last year, but I read it's self-incompatible. Its mate died from neglect and didn't flower at the same time. However it set seeds. I'm not sure if capsicum chinese  or annuum can fertilize it. I double checked its traits to make sure it was capsicum cardenasii. I have yet to test out the seeds from last year. I'm guessing they're likely infertile hybrids. Maybe I should do a germination test to double check.

C. Cardenasii definitely will self-pollinate, despite information to the contrary, so you should be good.  Sounds like Tybo has you covered, Dulac, but if you run into any trouble getting c.. galapagoense seeds come harvest season let me know.  My pods are just starting to ripen, so I'll have them down the road a bit. Also, neither chinense nor annuum should fertilize and produce pods on Cardenasii, so if you have pods you should have the real deal.  Rocotos and Eximium will totally pollinate it and create viable hybrids, though, if they're anywhere close to it.

CaneDog said:

C. Cardenasii definitely will self-pollinate, despite information to the contrary, so you should be good.  Sounds like Tybo has you covered, Dulac, but if you run into any trouble getting c.. galapagoense seeds come harvest season let me know.  My pods are just starting to ripen, so I'll have them down the road a bit. Also, neither chinense nor annuum should fertilize and produce pods on Cardenasii, so if you have pods you should have the real deal.  Rocotos and Eximium will totally pollinate it and create viable hybrids, though, if they're anywhere close to it.
Interesting. The information is incorrect on many sources I thought were credible. I didn't think it would get pollinated outside of that complex, but I couldn't explain why I got fruit. The seeds looked viable last year so they probably are. I had no others from that complex in my garden. Thank you and I'll let you know. I plan to grow them during the winter indoors like I did last time. Crown rot got them in my hydro setup. I think I forget to change the water in time.

Back