• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

shopping Looking for consensus on Tomatogrowers chinenses?

Over the years I've used tomatogrowers.com for tomato and pepper seeds, and I've never been disappointed. I've noticed these C. chinense types that have been offered by them and I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with them? Note that I acquired seeds for an orange Scotch Bonnet many years ago and it turned out to not be differentiable from an orange hab, but the ones in their advertisement photo are the traditional, pumpkin shape of the orange (not yellow) type typically found in the Caribbean. Does anyone have experience with or opinions on these?

Mayan Red
Hot Paper Lantern
Scotch Bonnet Orange
Chichen Itza
Cienfuegos series

Thanks!

I like Paper Lantern and Mayan Habs. They both have a bit of sweetness to them. The Paper Lantern had a more toned-down chinense taste than most habs, and also seemed to have a bit less heat than a typical Orange Hab. The plants were productive as well. The Mayan Hab also had some sweetness, and seemed to be at least as hot as an Orange Hab. It had a slight floral undertone, but the floralness was subdued enough that I didn't really mind. I think they are both worth trying if you had never had them before.

I like Paper Lantern and Mayan Habs. They both have a bit of sweetness to them. The Paper Lantern had a more toned-down chinense taste than most habs, and also seemed to have a bit less heat than a typical Orange Hab. The plants were productive as well. The Mayan Hab also had some sweetness, and seemed to be at least as hot as an Orange Hab. It had a slight floral undertone, but the floralness was subdued enough that I didn't really mind. I think they are both worth trying if you had never had them before.

Thanks BlackFatalii. The way you descibe the Mayan hab, I wonder if it has any baccatum genes in it? Did you get that impression?

I've ordered seeds from Tomato Growers a few times, and have no complaints. I think they're a reputable company.

I grow Paper Lantern Habanero every year. It's earlier than most habs, very prolific, tastes as @BlackFatalii described, and one of my favorites. I THINK it's the same thing as Hot Paper Lantern. At least the pics online look similar.

I've grown Mayan Red once before, as well. There seems to be quite a bit of variability of this pepper out there on the seed market. The one I grew looked and tasted very much like the Paper Lantern Habanero as well. Maybe not quite as flavorful. There are other phenos of Mayan Red out there, that are shorter and fatter than a Paper Lantern. They may be quite different from what I grew.

I can't speak to the rest of your list, but I will say the Paper Lantern is definitely worth growing.

Back