• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

looking for hot peppers that grow better in cooler areas like basement

I have a basement grow that has peppers growing but some of the worlds hottest. Im looking for ideas for some peppers to grow that thrive in cooler grow area. im just not ready to put additional heat to them right now. I had some peter peppers and sweet peppers that were growing well in the area. I just didnt know of other hot peppers that thrive indoors below 70 degrees

Annums should do solid

Depending on which type of lighting you are using they might keep it warm enough for some of the chinenses

Some of the "ornamentals" actually taste pretty decent and can produce well into the 50s, ie the "summer of fire" variety. They are also great for indoor growing because they are super-compact. If you're looking for superhots, though, I don't know.

I've read that pubescens also hold up to cooler temperatures as well. Something about how they originated in Peruvian mountains. At least that's what I remember reading.

you might try some Peruvian chile peppers like the rocoto.. since they grow in the mountains they should do well in colder.
http://www.fiery-foods.com/chiles-around-the-world/82-south-america/2461-the-chileheads-paradise-of-peru

I've got a small thai plant that's going crazy and flowering and fruiting right now, despite the fact there's no central heating in my apartment. It has probably been at highest 8 degrees c ambient in my living room.

It also produces tiny chillies which make great snacks when you need a chilli buzz.

If you're interested, I have some mystery Annuum seeds I got from romy6 that'll kick up the heat a few notches. They're a small chile with an elongated heart shape, thin flesh so they dry well and pretty good flavor. Great for powder. I also have some Mexican Goat Weed Pubiscens seeds I got from stc3248 that are extremely hot. I start my chiles upstairs where it's warm, but move them down to an unheated basement when they get too big to keep upstairs. My basement stays a constant 50 degrees all winter. They get a little heat during the day down there because I enclosed the growing area in a 5-sided box made of three quarter inch styrene board faced on one side with reflective film. It traps the waste heat given off by a four foot t8 and 2 four foot t12s. That's enough to raise the temperature up to about 80 degrees when the lights are on.
SANY0436_zps8cd0d079.jpg

The construction is just a $20 sheet of foam board and a roll of duct tape. I cut slots for the cords that I raise and lower the lights with inside the box, and covered the slots with some rags. Cheap is my mantra...

rocoto/manzano are a long term investment, i have 2 plants, 1 is 3 years old and the other entering its 2 year and though alive they have never produced a pod.

you only need heat to get some seeds going but once they sprout humidity is more important. i just had superchile sprout in a container that dropped a pod in soil.

why not give paper lantern or mushroom a shot? baccatum like hot lemon have done very well for me, fuzzy leaf goatsweed do well also.

good luck in your search.

If you're interested, I have some mystery Annuum seeds I got from romy6 that'll kick up the heat a few notches. They're a small chile with an elongated heart shape, thin flesh so they dry well and pretty good flavor. Great for powder. I also have some Mexican Goat Weed Pubiscens seeds I got from stc3248 that are extremely hot. I start my chiles upstairs where it's warm, but move them down to an unheated basement when they get too big to keep upstairs. My basement stays a constant 50 degrees all winter. They get a little heat during the day down there because I enclosed the growing area in a 5-sided box made of three quarter inch styrene board faced on one side with reflective film. It traps the waste heat given off by a four foot t8 and 2 four foot t12s. That's enough to raise the temperature up to about 80 degrees when the lights are on.
SANY0436_zps8cd0d079.jpg

The construction is just a $20 sheet of foam board and a roll of duct tape. I cut slots for the cords that I raise and lower the lights with inside the box, and covered the slots with some rags. Cheap is my mantra...
I removed the seeds then ate the pod of the goat weed pepper you sent me. I was totally taken off guard by the heat! It looked harmless, but wow! Great flavour and bloody hot!

I'm glad you agree it's hot, I thought I was coming down with a cold or something that it burned so much! Haha

goatsweed is my house pepper and i generally keep 2 or 3 plants going at all times. they tend to live for several years and overwinter very well. i keep them in 1 gallon containers as it is easier to move the plants around. i freeze some pods for soups/stews/stirfries and make powder. for cold weather regions they do fit the bill. my pods actually came from vietnam via a friend who grew up on the pods from a plant his mother grew and used for cooking.

Back