misc Looking for info and feasability on individual blisters

The clock flips to 12:00 and a short, stubby manager rolls around the front office telling everyone the food is ready.  I had completely forgotten about the company cookout/picnic today.  I tap a stack of paper and lock my computer as I peer down the hall at the big line of people now queuing outside the mess facility.  "I'll give this 15 minutes" I mutter as I stretch and finish up my morning coffee, now cold from my daily distractions of boring compliance, MX and documentation meetings.

So I grab my wallet and head on across the facility.  The line has died down to a dull roar and most of the people are now stuffing their faces with cheap potato salad, chips, burgers and dogs.  The burgers look like hockey pucks and the hot dogs are piled in a huge stack at the end of the 20 foot table.  I grab a plate and 2 hot dogs, and a small spoonful of what can only be described as fussili pasta tossed in Ken's italian dressing and mixed in with a can of black olive slices.  The mess is now full so I head on back to my office.

In my drawer is a selection of half-used prototype sauces in woozy bottles (5 and 1.7 ounce) and a notepad for what I ate it on.  I snag the baby woozy bottles of Cinder Hab and Cinder Scorpion and 

While I sit here with my bottle of sauce and munching on a hot dog (company picnic) I recalled several people stealing handfuls of condiments in the blister packs.  Initially I just shook my head, wondering why adults are stealing handfuls of condiments (ketchup, mustard).  the generic relish, not so much...

Then I realized my own girlfriend steals *borrows* Splenda packets (sorry honey, relevant to the subject so...)

As I ponder this realization, the ol' light bulb begins to arc, buzzing like one of those glass Tesla balls from the late 80's.  The hamster wheel begins to roll forward, slowly at first.

14163219-tesla-lightning-from-plasma-ball.jpg

I can only conclude that a) these packets are handy for individual usage, b) easy to clean up, c) convenient for travel and d) easy to dispense to large groups of people without having to pass a bottle around.

At the picnic they also had a big bottle of Heinz ketchup which was passed around many times.  It kept getting lost, found and put back on the table.  It got knocked over, spilled everywhere and eventually dropped on the floor in the crowd of 150+ factory workers in the mess hall.

I stroke my beard as my mind picks up momentum.

So... blister packs?  In the greater scheme of things, wouldn't it be simpler and easier to sell a box of blisters to hot dog vendors, outdoor restaurants and big meets like car shows, sports game concession stands, Country Fairs, etc...  I'm talking about getting product out in wide dispersion, grab bag style...

My first production run will be about 1800 5 oz glass bottles.  Most of which will be marketed mainly to restaurants and some taken to local markets and sold online.  I also understand that I shouldn't count chickens/put the cart in front of the horse until I at least make my start-up investment back... which is now cresting 7k (includes anticipated 1st production run costs).

I would love an option to take to the many car shows I frequent each year of boxes of product, as well as the ability to hand out samples (blisters) and even make a deal with the concessions/vendors at the show.

Has anyone else looked into this and/or tried this to any success?  Just planting seeds for the future here...

Attachments

• Packets.png
    Packets.png
    809.5 KB · Views: 75
It's not rocket science. There's a machine that can pack these - it costs about $10-14K.  My copacker would be thrilled to employ this for me provided I buy him the machine. 

The best packets I've seen are the Mylar ones that Tapatio uses. 

Since I have batch minimums at my copacker based on size of the kettle, I'd have to make a ridiculous amount, and I'd have to buy the machine. 

If you have an extra $10-14K laying around and you're not doing anything with it and if your life's dream is making 10s of 1000s of packets, go for it. Easy. :cheers: 
Ps - these aren't "blister packs" 

Blister packs are the little bubble sheets that pills come in. 
pills-in-a-blister-pack-5e16c4.jpg

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:
It's not rocket science. There's a machine that can pack these - it costs about $10-14K.  My copacker would be thrilled to employ this for me provided I buy him the machine. 

The best packets I've seen are the Mylar ones that Tapatio uses. 

Since I have batch minimums at my copacker based on size of the kettle, I'd have to make a ridiculous amount, and I'd have to buy the machine. 

If you have an extra $10-14K laying around and you're not doing anything with it and if your life's dream is making 10s of 1000s of packets, go for it. Easy. :cheers:

Ps - these aren't "blister packs" 

Blister packs are the little bubble sheets that pills come in. 
pills-in-a-blister-pack-5e16c4.jpg

That would be an interesting way to market pepper powders . . . pressed into pill form.

Kalitarios said:
What are the packets called... packets?  I thought those were called blisters... now I'm curious.

packets. lol 

never heard them called anything else. Google image search "blister package" and you'll see 1000s of images like the one I posted. When I was a pharmaceutical project manager I spent 2+ years researching & getting quotes for blister pack machines. You would not put hot sauce in them. they're solid fill. 

There are single dose liquid fill as well, but those machines are 100s of thousands of dollars. The food grade packet making machine I looked at was ~$10K.  

Simple formula too: determine your copacker's batch minimum for 5 oz bottles. Multiply # of bottles x 5. That's how many 1 oz packets you'll have to make. :)

You could look a the 1.6oz bottles if you are wanting a smaller quantity...when we launched last October, we had 500 of each of our two sauces made in the 1.6oz (I've got one of each left), these were utilized as a promotion, but we are thinking about running them again. As it's less than 2oz, it may be able to be taken onto a plane as hand luggage....disclaimer...I have not researched this, just an idea we have been kicking around.

Anyway, here is a pic of the mini's...so cute!

Big and Mini.jpg

Back