• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Looking for input on what I should grow

At the moment I have 1 Ghost plant and 3 Carolina Reaper plants growing.  However, I am interested in growing a few other peppers that some of my family and friends would find more enjoyable as they are not into superhots.  I found someone in the area who has a few different varieties for sale.  The plants which I am looking into are: Yellow Fatalii, Mako Akokosrade, Mal Divian Heart, and a cross of a 7 Pot Jonah and Pimenta De Neyde.  These will mainly be used for cooking and making hot sauces, and I was curious if any of those listed sounded like a good fit.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Grow a few baccatum!  
An Aji Amarillo, Peruvian, Colorado, or Verde (to mention just a few likely options) will make great hot salsa with the unique baccatum taste.  
For the kids, a Brazilian Starfish is hard to beat. Almost heat free, with a slight berry flavor.

This is my first grow season so my answer is based on the research that I did recently:

Bahamian goats and scotch bonnets are similar and anout 1/3-1/2 as hot as your ghosts and very popular. Fatalli is on my list for next year. Many non-chile heads find jalapeños and serranos to be about as hot as they like. Shishitos and padron peppers are similar and delicious tossed in oil and blistered in a hot pan and finished with a squeeze of lemon juice and a pinch of salt. I'm looking forward to some baccatum next year.

Fatalii seem to be one of those you love em or hate em chiles. Many people love them, about the heat of a hab but a little different burn. I've had powder made from Mako Akokosrade and the flavor is pretty tasty. Heat isn't too bad. I haven't tried the 7JPN but am growing one this year.

Some other non supers with good flavor (if you happen to come across or even grow next year). Bahamian Goat are excellent. One of my favorites with heat a little higher than Scotch Bonnet. Aji Jobito is supposed to be one of the tastiest little to no heat chiles. Aji Pineapple are good. Gatherer's Gold is a sweet pepper I grew for family last yeas as I'm not into sweets. I couldn't grow enough. Had two plants and everyone went crazy for them.

The following are some of my favorites. They wont disappoint.
Brown morugas, madd balls, scotch bonnets, serranos, jalapenos, rocotos or mansanos, aji Colorado and cumari do para

For eating fresh; Jalapenos are hard to beat.

I also really like the flavor and relatively mild heat of Ecuadoran Hot Lemon Cayenne.

For spicing up cooking, most of the Cayennes are excellent.

Hot sauces; Bhuts, Scorpions, Habaneros.

Have fun, and good luck with your grow.

Bird peppers!!!!!! Everyone should have one to nibble on fresh. And if you pick one of the smaller varieties like the Zimbabwe bird it's easy to grow in a container to have year round.

Many here seem to be misreading OP. OP is specifically asking for insight into the listed varieties :P

Of those my vote is for Mako Akokosrade. Followed by the Jonah X PDN.

Of course, I would buy them all in your shoes.

solid7 said:
Be careful giving fataliis, in particular, to others.  Fatalii has a ferocious "stomach" burn, that belies their true heat level.  I love them, but goddamn, they are brutal in the belly.

They're not exactly 'cool mint' on the tongue either!  :) 
Spicy Mushroom said:
Many here seem to be misreading OP. OP is specifically asking for insight into the listed varieties :P

Of those my vote is for Mako Akokosrade. Followed by the Jonah X PDN.

Of course, I would buy them all in your shoes.

The thing is that his 'candidate' peppers are damn near as hot as the 'superhots' he says he wants to avoid.   :rolleyes:

If its a non super hot you seek, then this is a no brainer and your choice would have to be the Maldivian Heart.

Back