• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Looking for pepper breeding ideas crazy or not

Good to hear, hoping you can bump this post and link us to your site when it's ready. I went ahead ahead with my AJi Yellow + Serrano crossing attempt this morning. Very unscientific but this is how it went:

1) I snipped 3 flowers that were just about to open, off each plant that is, 3 x 3.

2) I then took them over to the opposite plants and rubbed them into flowers that were nearly ready to open, 3 x 3.

3) I marked off those flowers and am waiting for them to turn to pods. I also cover them with bits of thin cloth to hide them from pollinating bees, i don't want them mucking things up.

Not the most serious attempt but i'm hoping that one off each plant will produce a pod, then i'll let them fully ripen. I'll cover those plants with plastic if the September weather doesn't cooperate. I'll plant them come Feb 2012. The good thing is that the leaves, stems + growth pattern are very different between the two plants so i may be able to recognize a cross early on.

In my barely successful war versus Bacterial spot this year, i found out that two types of Jalapeno were very susceptible to it and standard habs + red manzano/rocotos were fairly susceptible.

I also figured out that AJi Yellow #1 and all three Serrano types seemed completely immune (Del Sol, Tampiqueno, Standard). I'm guessing with the next percentages but Trinidad Perfume and Tobaggo Seasoning peppers were 95% resistant, Fatalli's maybe 75% resistant, either that or all of these just responded well to treatment.

I yanked out stray Jalapeno plants that were next to my rare peppers + superhots because they were acting like disease vectors.
Good stuff. + Rep!

Back