• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

looking for peppers with unique flavors

im looking for some suggestions of peppers to grow that have unique flavors that standout.the reason is i am going to add them to my powders and sauces for a unique flavor.my current lineup for next year is
Japones
Arbols
Bhut Jolokia(various different types of bhuts)
Caribbean reds
7POT Brown
Trinidad scorpion red
trinidad scorpion yellow
Orange habs
Habalokia

Ya gotta have some Baccs on that list! :cool:
Most have very unique flavor!
Maybe an Aji Limon they taste wonderful!

Kevin

Was just going to say look at the baccatums. Generally speaking they're a bit on the milder side of things, but Aji Limon is a good bet, and Aji Amarillos make a versatile powder with good flavor.

Long season peppers, but very prolific.

I'm actually growing a Limon this year instead of the Aji Limon... think it's supposed to be a bit hotter, but similar flavor to the Aji. It grows on a compact plant so the overall yield is much smaller.

+1 one on the baccatums, south americans dry those like crazy.

Here's a quote from a previous post:
Throw a couple Baccatum varieties in there. There are tons to choose from, and at all heat levels.

Here is my baccatum list for 2012:

Aji Cristal
Aji Habanero, not a habanero btw.
CAP 220
Aji Amarillo aka Aji Yellow <--- comes highly recommended. If you had to pick only one, then this might be it. Very disease resistant.
Aji Amarillo No 2
Aji Chanca
CGN 16905
CGN 16972
CGN 23566
Polumbo PI 439411

I had just purchased all of these from the.chilli.man on ebay. I have no affiliation with him but this is one of the few ebay sellers that has never let me down. Otherwise i'm sure the sellers in the sticky thread carry plenty of baccatums.

Edit: The.Chilli.man is also one of the recommended sellers in the sticky thread btw.

Maybe a frutescens variety or two, tabasco has a very distinct flavor.

Cumari Pollux, Aji Limo. My baccatums were my earliest producers, they all set pods long before anything else. They were started earlier than the annums and frutescens, but at the same time as most of the chinenses. They were all loaded with pods by late May not long after they were put outside. Most of them ripen very slowly though.

Cumari Pollux, Aji Limo. My baccatums were my earliest producers, they all set pods long before anything else. They were started earlier than the annums and frutescens, but at the same time as most of the chinenses. They were all loaded with pods by late May not long after they were put outside. Most of them ripen very slowly though.

Sounds about right. Mine were some of the earliest to set fruit, and looking to be some of the last to ripen.

Sounds about right. Mine were some of the earliest to set fruit, and looking to be some of the last to ripen.

Yeah, aji cristals especially. Mine seem to take about 2 weeks to turn fully red after the color change starts. Brazilian starfish are kind of slow too, but not that slow. Limos are fast though, usually about 2 days.

Back