• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Looking For...

I am trying to figure out what pepper to grow, I am wanting fairly mild heat (so the wife can eat it) and want it to be about the size and shape of a habanero, flavor wise I am wanting it to lend itself nicely to having the top cut of and stuffed with various meats and cheeses and battered and fried... any idea what pepper I need to get? Basically I am wanting to make jalapeno poppers but dont really want to use jalapenos...

Red Fresnos. Often mislabeled as Jalapenos in the grocery store. Mild heat, sweeter flavor. I made ABTs with green Jalapenos and Red Fresnos last night and the Reds were much better.

my bishop's crowns(chapeu de frade), are the size of large button mushroom or slightly larger than golf balls. the shape is quite neat, far prettier than a hab, i have never baked one, but they have a unique flavour that is nothing like jalapeno or habanero but once you start chewing this pod, its heat builds and its flavour and aroma come out. the heat is not over bearing and the flavour lingers.

i am sure in alabama, you can grow them far larger and produce far more pods per plant than i could in my 2 months of summer.

What about Tabago Seasoning? It's a Habanero varity but is only 500 scoville.

I was just looking at those.. I think thats what I might go with.. It will either be that or the bishops crown.. I want the heat similar to a jalapenos but the basic shape and size of the habanero

Goodluck! I tried growing them this season, but out of 4 seeds only 1 came up and its a weakling so far. Hopefully you have more luck. I'm gonna try it again next season though!

OP, look up Trinidad seasoning, Trinidad spice, and Tobaggo seasoning peppers. One of them is a little smaller than the rest (i forget which) but all are mild have have a chinense type of flavor.

Come to think of it, why not grow all three and stick with the winner for the following season?

Edit: they are known to have wrinkly leaves that look like a calcium deficiency, but don't sweat it as long as you're using decent potting soil and the occasional nutes.
And i think the Trinidad seasoning are the smaller ones, as per google images.

Back