• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Looking Forward 2011 season

Comrades. Members, and friends.
My family and friends tell that I'm sick and need to see a psychiatrist! the bad part is I agree!

Finely the last of my seedling popped. Just had the pig filled with Propane (ouch). Heating a 30 X 70 GH

Have roughly 2,700 peppers started this year, I'm hoping 1,700 survive, anything over that is a bonus. As many of you know I grew a little over a 1,000 last year, looking to up the ante this year! Wish me luck.LOL

I will post some pics in 2 or 3 weeks or so when they are a little more than tooth picks

My expected grow list for the year. Give or take; I throw several out every day.

Quantity and type germinated in 3x3's

480--- Bhuts

175--- Scotch Bonnets

325--- Naga Vipers

60 ----chocolate habs

50---- 7pod not sure of the color

130--- Trinidad Scorpion

230--- Fatali

90---- Chiltepin

300--- super chili's (hybrid)

190--- orange habs

110--- Caribbean Reds

20---- peter peppers

35---- red savannahs

150--- Garden salsa

All the rest are sweet. And of course lots of onions, garlic, tomatoes, cilantro, and other spices for the Salsa Contest we hold here on the farm every fall.

Now and Soon, God willing!

Main_Winter_to_Summer.gif
-
Ants in my Pants, I am sooooooooooooooooo ready for winter to be over!
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
Circle_Winter_to_Summer.gif
-
-
-
I have a question that still has room for debate, growing these pepper in as close proximity as I do; can I, or should I harvest these seeds for next year, potential is maybe tens of thousands, I do not have that much time in my life, but maybe a school kid lookin to make a few bucks.

To know the road ahead, ask those coming back.

Keep it hot my Friends, Spicy Chicken

I guss I nede two lern howe too spel. (shot)

wow, what a very nice and spacious yard!!

No, your not crazy, so long as you are making good use of those figures. Growing for yourself personally you only need a few plants, or even bundling 2 or 3 of teh same type in a big pot would be alright but with those numbers as long as you are making a profit and selling sauces or salsa's or something, it is completely ok.

Some people don't understand the obsession, and usually those people are limited to the capsicum annum varieties. When somebody takes the plunge from annum to chinense - their world gets turned and they realize there is far more to discover. Chilli have so much different tastes and this along with the heat makes up the obsession, and the obsession is completely justifiable so long as you are not going into debt or ruining yourself in the process.

And when growing a few plants for yourself, it can be really really cheap and rewarding.
It is something we can all benefit from :)

Nobody here will say you're crazy so don't ask for them to :P

Spicy Chicken you have got any amazing place.. it looks like an estate...:)

you must have lots of time to spare.. taking care of such a huge!! place and you are starting the season with 2700 seedlings!!! :shocked: you must be spending you all your times tending to the peppers..

hmmm do you have time to sleep ?
:) hehe

Spicy Chicken you have got any amazing place.. it looks like an estate...:)

you must have lots of time to spare.. taking care of such a huge!! place and you are starting the season with 2700 seedlings!!! :shocked: you must be spending you all your times tending to the peppers..

hmmm do you have time to sleep ?
:) hehe

Appreciate the complements

But its just an old farm, we do what we can, now that the back braking seedling work is over, plucking the junk and watching em grow, pure Joy!

SC

I have a question that still has room for debate, growing these pepper in as close proximity as I do; can I, or should I harvest these seeds for next year, potential is maybe tens of thousands, I do not have that much time in my life, but maybe a school kid lookin to make a few bucks.

To know the road ahead, ask those coming back.

Keep it hot my Friends, Spicy Chicken

I guss I nede two lern howe too spel. (shot)

[/size][/font]
well you can save the seeds from your close proximity pepper plants , i guess you are planting a single type each raise bed you have and you have some distance between them. It might be still be pure breed but if you still want to avoid cross pollination, you can pollinate the flowers and then have a small bag(tea bag) to cover them. there are a few post last year on the cross pollinating issues, some has come up with some good ideas.(one even cuts open the flower petals and pollinated & cover them. )
I am sure there are many others that can give their opinion on this issue as it became a hot topic for the home gardeners who were keeping the seeds for the next season and have a different looking pods in the next season.

cheers! and good luck

Wow Spicy Chicken, the lawn looks nice and green. You must put alot of time into the grass!!! :crazy:

Oh yeah, Nice looking Pepper plants too!! I guess I am two years (or more) behind you. I hope to hit 450 or so this year and 1000 next year!! I will be following your log!!

Happy Growing!!

I would save seeds and use them for next year. No doubt that you will have cross pollination issues but that fun! The percentage of seed that you plant that will be a cross will be very small and you end up with a one of a kind pepper that you can keep secret or share with the rest of us. Personally i like option two better. :)

Lovely lookin patch of snow ya got there now :lol:

As always SC, I'm drooling over your set up. I could probably do 2700 plants but my dog would have to $hit in the basement... ;)

Plus, my wife is already thinking about killing me with what I have germinating around the house right now.

As always SC, I'm drooling over your set up. I could probably do 2700 plants but my dog would have to $hit in the basement... ;)

Plus, my wife is already thinking about killing me with what I have germinating around the house right now.
Yours too?!? My plants are in the spare bedroom right now. I think the old couple next door thinks I'm growing weed lol!

SC, I'm going to make midget containers like yours for the ends of my flower bed out front. I'll have some Black Pearls going in them :woohoo:

hehehe yours too?
i have not put any plants in my spare bedroom yet. i think she would kill before i could carry my pots in. :) i was thinking something like a outside the window sill bracket.

don't be surprise woody3says one day u get the police knocking on your door. do you have grow lights hanging in there ? hehe

I have 8 (soon to be 16) CFLs I rigged up in a three foot plastic shelf. I finished tilling up my garden plot today and talked to the lady next door. I had my peppers outside getting a bit of fresh air and light. I told her that's what was in the room if her husband saw the lights. They are both really sweet neighbors so I shouldn't have any worries now.

I have 8 (soon to be 16) CFLs I rigged up in a three foot plastic shelf. I finished tilling up my garden plot today and talked to the lady next door. I had my peppers outside getting a bit of fresh air and light. I told her that's what was in the room if her husband saw the lights. They are both really sweet neighbors so I shouldn't have any worries now.
hahahaha hmm i got you worried i see :)

well you can save the seeds from your close proximity pepper plants , i guess you are planting a single type each raise bed you have and you have some distance between them. It might be still be pure breed but if you still want to avoid cross pollination, you can pollinate the flowers and then have a small bag(tea bag) to cover them. there are a few post last year on the cross pollinating issues, some has come up with some good ideas.(one even cuts open the flower petals and pollinated & cover them. )
I am sure there are many others that can give their opinion on this issue as it became a hot topic for the home gardeners who were keeping the seeds for the next season and have a different looking pods in the next season.

cheers! and good luck

Good Advice!

I have the 20 raised beds, I may stick to them, one variety in each, and then harvest the seeds from the plants in the middle. Would definitely try the bag thing if I only had a few plants, not sure I could afford a quarter of million tea bags :eek: :think: LOL

Not to get off subject here, but about 15 years ago or so I was driving down the road when I looked over and seen this tree with plastic bags all over it, curiosity pulled a u turn and drove into the yard. The guy was on the way out the door, so I asked WTH? come to find out it was an apple tree and he took the time to but zip lock bags around 3 or 4 hundred small apples, why I asked dumb founded. He said it keeps pathogens, disease, bugs and worm from attacking his fruit, the apples would just grow up inside. WOW talk about Pre packaged fruit :clap: just thought I'd share!!!

Thank Sri, you got me thinking and that rare these days, SC

Very nice place ya got there SC! Looking forward to your pics as the season progresses.

By-the-by, I guess you haven't heard that "If it ain't RED, leave it in the shed"? :D

Good Advice!

I have the 20 raised beds, I may stick to them, one variety in each, and then harvest the seeds from the plants in the middle. Would definitely try the bag thing if I only had a few plants, not sure I could afford a quarter of million tea bags :eek: :think: LOL

Not to get off subject here, but about 15 years ago or so I was driving down the road when I looked over and seen this tree with plastic bags all over it, curiosity pulled a u turn and drove into the yard. The guy was on the way out the door, so I asked WTH? come to find out it was an apple tree and he took the time to but zip lock bags around 3 or 4 hundred small apples, why I asked dumb founded. He said it keeps pathogens, disease, bugs and worm from attacking his fruit, the apples would just grow up inside. WOW talk about Pre packaged fruit :clap: just thought I'd share!!!

Thank Sri, you got me thinking and that rare these days, SC
20 raise bed for 2700 plants ? one variety each some 20 variety for 20 raise beds. i don't think u need a quarter million tea bags. do you ?? you are not going to turn all your pods to seeds right ?? imagine each pod u select 10 seeds X 250,000 u get 2.5 million seeds :eek: !!!!! hahaha too much to handle.. how many seeds to u start your season with ??

thats a nice story.. well my father used to do that for his mango's by wrapping them with newspaper.nice bag covering each mango. so the fruit fly does not get to lay its eggs in them!. the same method is currently being used in the Guava industry here. they cover them with paper and sometimes also plastic bags using staples to seal them. but ZIplock :) another tedious work and expensive. hehe

if i wanna isolate the flower i got a different type of bag. its plastic fine netting with a string around the mouth of the opening. so just slide in and pull string to close the opening.

:)

20 raise bed for 2700 plants ? LOL the rest would go in the big garden one variety each some 20 variety for 20 raise beds. i don't think u need a quarter million tea bags. do you ?? no of coarse not I was just screwing around. :cool: you are not going to turn all your pods to seeds right ?? I had thought about it but like I said just don't have that much time in my life, imagine each pod u select 10 seeds X 250,000 u get 2.5 million seeds :eek: !!!!! hahaha too much to handle..You got that right.:scared: how many seeds to u start your season with ?? Stated with 3200, ruffly 2700 germinated, hoping 1700 are worthy to plant.

thats a nice story.. well my father used to do that for his mango's by wrapping them with newspaper.nice bag covering each mango. so the fruit fly does not get to lay its eggs in them!. the same method is currently being used in the Guava industry here. they cover them with paper and sometimes also plastic bags using staples to seal them. but ZIplock :) another tedious work and expensive. hehe No doubt about that!!!!!!:banghead:

if i wanna isolate the flower i got a different type of bag. its plastic fine netting with a string around the mouth of the opening. so just slide in and pull string to close the opening.

Thanks for pickin on me SRI :halo: SC

:)

Back