• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

looking leggy

i was wondering if its o.k. to plant my seedlings deeper in the soil like a tomato plant since they are looking a little leggy? they are about 2-3" tall

rickster said:
i was wondering if its o.k. to plant my seedlings deeper in the soil like a tomato plant since they are looking a little leggy? they are about 2-3" tall

Yep, you sure can!  Agree with above, add more light or lower your lights to infuse more light to your seedlings. 

im gonna upgrade from a 2-bulb t-8 to a 4- bulb t-8 on the way home today. they are in peat pellets right now, i will be transplanting to solo cups,planting deeper and adding more light. maybe that will straighten out their attitude. 

I dont use a fan myself, I just do a trick I learned while watching a youtube video.  I just run my palm over the canopy of the seedlings pushing them gently over a couple times a day and it basically simulates wind. 
Works for me, lol

i have acquired a 4ft, 4 bulb t-8 light. what  type of bulb would you recommend i use for my seedlings until i can put them outside around April, i already have 2 -1400L grow lights. maybe mix two grow with 2 white or all white or all grow? this is not a high output light. any advice is much appreciated.

Increase your supplemental or natural light to prevent this from happening. That way you get a strong and stocky plant.

rickster said:
lights are on a timer , what would be the ideal amount of light each day?

Somewhere between 16 and 20 is a good starting point. They like lots of light but definitely benefit from some dark time, too. Check out some time-lapse vids of how plants (especially peppers) recover during dark time.

From what I've read, both chilies and tomatoes benefit from 24/7 light for the first 5-7 weeks. After that leaf necrosis can set in. At this point I believe the light period is 18/6, but I can't recall at the moment.

Neil

When I transplant deeper, I sometimes cut off the bottom two stems and use a small paint brush to add rooting hormone.  Works great.

well, with the way winter is going in north Texas it may be march. it least the crappie will start biting :party: 
onions will be going in the ground in a week or so!

Back