smokers Looking to get a smoker

Well I'm looking but there isn't a massive selection here in Australia...:(

I found this. 22kg capacity smoker

It's basic and has no dials or gauges....It says it will get to an average of 76C (169F)....

What are your thoughts.....Is it going to handle a good sized ham or rump.....

I don't really know much about smoking but am very keen to have a go.....

that smoker is for things like smoking a fish,jerky or cheese..basically it is a cold smoker, it doesnt get hot enough to safely cook meat like a rump or ham

that was the very first smoker i ever bought...it worked great for what it was.

moyboy said:
Well I'm looking but there isn't a massive selection here in Australia...:(

I found this. 22kg capacity smoker

It's basic and has no dials or gauges....It says it will get to an average of 76C (169F)....

What are your thoughts.....Is it going to handle a good sized ham or rump.....

I don't really know much about smoking but am very keen to have a go.....

Thanks for the info Bams.......That's good to know, but disappoints me a little at the same time....:lol:

Your right....I didn't even think about it when it said that the smoker only get to around 76C 06 169F

Thanks mate

if you cant find a good bbq/smoker in your price range, pm me and i will send you some plans for a cheaper homemade charcoal fired bbq.

BamsBBQ said:
if you cant find a good bbq/smoker in your price range, pm me and i will send you some plans for a cheaper homemade charcoal fired bbq.

thanks mate...I'll let you know

Here's what you're looking for:
401_0997.jpg

402_0991.jpg

6001.jpg

Been wanting to buy one of the really big ones for a long time now.

Not sure how much your looking to spend, but if your looking to get good smoker that's easy to use and good for beginners pickup a Weber Smokey mountain. It's http://www.weberbbq.com.au/charcoalbarbecues.htm

Weber sales them in au so it's just a matter of finding a reseller close to you.

These have all the bells and whistles, but are in a bullet design. The bottom has a rack to hold the coals or wood which allows the ash to fall threw allowing your fire to get enough oxygen. It also has a sliding door with holes if you want to use it as a grill and cook over a very hot flame.

It has a built in drip pan that seat ABOVE the coals and not on them. This allows you to catch the meat drippings and flavor the meat at the same time. I often use 1 part apple juice to 2 parts water which gives pork a nice hint of apple to go with the apple chips.

It has 2 racks to load up on. I have the larger model and fit 2 slabs of ribs per rack or 2 medium sized pork butts. You have to be careful not to mix the meats up too much because the juice coming out of the meat on the top rack will drip onto the meat underneath. If your doing ribs this is a added bonus because the failing juices will actually work to keep the meat moist since it's closer to the heat source.

It also has vents on the top allowing you to control how much smoke your letting out and give you better control over the oxygen in the smoker.

41q6qhx3nvl__ss384_.jpg

Thanks for the info LGHT.

I'm now going to make something like this
PICT0899-1.jpg

Picture was sourced from photobucket....

An Ugly drum smoker...

BamsBBQ has directed me to some great info and I'm looking forward to the project. and if i'm luck i should have it completed for under $100...:)

you will have fun with this cooker..you will have fun building it as well

on a side note..that is my buddies UDS..lol
moyboy said:

PICT0899-1.jpg

An Ugly drum smoker...

BamsBBQ has directed me to some great info and I'm looking forward to the project. and if i'm luck i should have it completed for under $100...:)

moyboy said:

PICT0899-1.jpg

An Ugly drum smoker...

Damn, dude i was gonna say if you need Ford parts i'm your man.

BamsBBQ said:
you will have fun with this cooker..you will have fun building it as well

on a side note..that is my buddies UDS..lol

When I posted it and knew it was from the other forum I thought to myself I bet Bams knows this thing....:lol:

Sickmont said:
Damn, dude i was gonna say if you need Ford parts i'm your man.

Sorry mate not really a ford fan....:oops: :lol:

I'm a Holden (GM) fan....In particular, the Commodore

Sickmont said:
Thats ok, we had those here for a bit, they were calling them GTO's:shocked:

Actually i had some serious seat time in an '06 GTO 6 speed that f**ker was badazz

Yeah, they are an awesome car. Some off the GTO features have been added to the Aussie models in recent years and has made them look pretty good......

The V8 Commodore is one of the Australian police cars of choose for patrol cars...

Back