• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

organic Looks like I'll be going organic

At least for the plants I'm going to try to raise to sell. He likes the idea of not using artificial ferts or bug sprays and wants about 20 plants. If it means more sales, I'll all for it!

Of course, I know nothing about organic fertilizer or insecticides. The first thing I need is something that will encourage rooting after transplantation from my seed beds into the 2" or 3" containers. I've been using fertilizers that came with a CloneBucket and they work a treat.

Thankfully, I don't have to worry at all about blooming and fruiting, just growing bushy plants that look healthy.

Mike

Don't know about where you live, but here you have strict rules regarding the term "organic". you can't even call yourself, your products and anything related "organic" without a permit. getting that permit is a LONG process that can take years, unless you can prove you've been organic for the last few years. that means growing different crop each year and such.

Thankfully, I'm not a business, all I'm doing is selling some plants. No store front, no office, etc.

I won't have to call them "organically grown" but I can tell anyone interested that only natural fertilizers and (if necessary) pest control methods were used. I've already found the fertilizer but am not sure what I can use to control aphids and other critters.

Mike

To be *certified* organic is expensive and involves dealing with the government bureaucracy. A lot of small producers of both plants and market vegetables are organic but can't afford to be certified. If Mike is working with someone he knows, he can agree to raise his plants organically on a handshake without getting certified.

Ha, calling yourself organic in Australia is a joke. Yes, you can get certified by agencies, and Im sure they check things out, but the joke is that a) You dont have to be certified in any way to call anything organic, as there are no penalties or even rules against it, and b) there are no overall standards for the certification companies to work to. I would assume they follow some international standard on a voluntary basis, but the fact is that I can get a crayon, put your name, my name, the word organic on it, and you are now certified. Even still, if you wanted to sell at a farmers market here, and you wanted to sell 'organic', they would require a certificate for proof.

Whereabouts are you based?

Here it's a little different, lol. we're talking about huge fines and depends on scale, possibly jail time.

Plants, produce and honey are pretty much exempted from most regulations over here, unless the market itself sets up rules. But if I want to sell a bottle of hot sauce - way different story. There are also some markets that require if someone is selling produce by the pound, they have there scales inspected and certified each day. That's why most vendors sell them per tomato or bundle.

Mike

wordwiz said:
Plants, produce and honey are pretty much exempted from most regulations over here, unless the market itself sets up rules. But if I want to sell a bottle of hot sauce - way different story. There are also some markets that require if someone is selling produce by the pound, they have there scales inspected and certified each day. That's why most vendors sell them per tomato or bundle.

Mike
Can honey really be organic? I mean, you can't control which flowers the bees go to, and if the flower isn't organic...

In general, the US appears to be less strict than most on using the term "organic" but its probably different in every state as well.
When you look at all the exemptinons and bs that's becoming allowed, the term "organic" somehow becomes less meaningful:(

Omri said:
Can honey really be organic? I mean, you can't control which flowers the bees go to, and if the flower isn't organic...

If the flower has been treated with pesticides, the bee usually dies. Kinda defeats the purpose. So, it would only be the fertilizer that really matters.

Pam said:
If the flower has been treated with pesticides, the bee usually dies. Kinda defeats the purpose. So, it would only be the fertilizer that really matters.
Not only... the flowers need to be organic, not just natural.

pretty sure that lableing a product organic means that the land has been free of chemicals for x years etc. The rules are based off of the ones that have been in place in Europe for some time. I have heard however (no source to back me up)the one place the word can be used a little less reputably is in manufactured foods. If it doesn't say "100% organic" it can be 10% organic and still be certified 'organic'.

How will a 4-7-10 fert such as this one work? I really just want to promote root growth but I won't be disappointed if it also helps grow huge leaves with a short internodal distance!

Mike

Back