• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

organic Looks like I'll be going organic

Thanks Pamela, but can you riddle me this?

How many ounces of it should I dissolve in five gallons of water to apply to seedlings? Does a cup sound about right?

Mike

wordwiz said:
How will a 4-7-10 fert such as this one work? I really just want to promote root growth but I won't be disappointed if it also helps grow huge leaves with a short internodal distance!

Mike

I thought you wanted to keep your plants in small pots for selling, and if so you may not want to encourage a lot of root growth but instead more top growth or just slower green growth.

Potawie,

I do. My plan is to keep them in containers (plastic to-go boxes) until they are about four inches tall and then transplant them into either 2" or 3" nursery flats. But I would like to have as many roots as possible to increase the likelihood of survival. I have been using some ferts that came with a clone bucket but they are not organic and I don't want to mislead people on how the plants were raised.

Mike

wordwiz said:

How many ounces of it should I dissolve in five gallons of water to apply to seedlings? Does a cup sound about right?

Mike

Hm, I have no idea how well it will dissolve in water. It might have to sit awhile.

You know, since you just want healthy plants and aren't too worried about fruiting, why not get some fish emulsion? You could even doctor it with a bit of liquid sea weed to get the root growth you seem concerned about.

http://www.planetnatural.com/site/maxicrop-liquid-seaweed.html

wordwiz said:

Mike

It says 1 teaspoon per 4 inches of pot diameter, which works out to 1tsp/ square foot (roughly). I would use a 25% concentration mix for seedlings, if at all, and I would assume you are going to use about .5 quart of water per 12 inch pot, at least I do. This leads me to believe that 5 gallons will cover 10 square feet, which should mean 2.5 tsp is how much you should put in.

Its very late here, I may have screwed something up here, someone recheck this please.

I do have the calculations on hand to work out exactly how much you need based on the ratio, but its my bedtime. Maybe tomorrow.

McGoo,

Thanks, the amount sounds like a good starting point. My guess, though, is that five gallons will be a lot more than what I need. My seedlings, usually about 50 of each variety are in a square foot to-go tray, sitting in about two inches of potting soil. A cup of water is more than enough to soak the trays.

Mike

Back