• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

loss of heat

Probably not. In fact, they may seem hotter. If you freeze a variety that has some variablity on the same plant (like NuMex Big Jims) freezing will rupture the cell walls and redistribute the capsaicin, making them seem hotter. I've made nachos from frozen jalapenos that were along the lines of some superhots, but your mileage may vary.

I read somewhere that the thicker fleshed peppers when frozen loose water.
It expands , the water in the pepper , leaving the other stuff in the pepper to be stronger/concentrated.
I've had peppers from the same plants that were frozen until I had enough to do something with be a lot hotter than pods I used fresh off the same plant.
So I think at least with the thicker frozen peppers it might be true that they can be hotter after freezing.

I do know that a lot of smoked stuff blends better after being fozen and read it's because freezing stuff causes cell walls to break(thus mushy pods from fresh frozen stuff-unless it is flash frozen)letting the flavor blend in better or whatever.

I've had dried peppers loose their heat at times due to the stuff in them breaking down but never noticed any loss of heat with frozen pods.just a loss of texture.

Back