Lot Coding Solutions

how much info do you need on the bottle?

For our BBQ sauce, it has to have a facility code and date/batch code on the bottle per FDA regs. 
I use a Garvey multi-line price gun and have the batch/lot coded using Julian date and the facility code numbers.  The batch code is written in the BBQ sauce production log which is required for that particular product. 

For the batch code, the first digit is the year (everything made in 2013 started with a 3, 2014 started with a 4, etc)  So if I were to make a batch today Jan 4, 2015, the date/batch code would be 5004 and the facility code is always 1-001

Garvey used to have a 3-line labeler with one line being alpha-numeric.  Has the full alphabet 12 spaces wide on one line, then symbols/numeric on 2 lines.  I don't see that particular labeler on their website, probably have to contact Garvey directly.   

For the rest of the sauces, they don't have to have the FDA codes, so I use a simple Monarch price gun and give each batch a 3-digit number.  I keep hand written records on a production chart on a clipboard of Product/Date/amount made/batch number.

Just using a price gun sticker is fine for my inspector.  Doesn't have to be "permanently inked" or whatever directly onto the bottle as far as I know. 

Back