Lots of pot sales today (GrassSnake)

Ozzy2001 said:
That's what I would get too :)
I can't stop looking at this.
http://www.homebrewing.org/Cereal-Killer-Grain-Mill_p_2310.html

You have a mill, and if you don't, I'll sell you my MM ... I plan to buy milled grain most of the time in the future, ASAP ...

Grass Snake said:

I really like this one but wondering if I should go with the 8 gallon.. I would be brewing outside or the shed. What do you think Ozzy?

http://www.homebrewing.org/10-Gallon-2-Weld-SS-Kettle-with-Volume-Marking_p_6827.html

You want 3x your batch volume in your kettle if you plan to mash in it, and 2x if you will only boil in it ... since you like big beers.

It sucks to be at capacity - don't put yourself there from day one.

grantmichaels said:

You have a mill, and if you don't, I'll sell you my MM ... I plan to buy milled grain most of the time in the future, ASAP ...

You want 3x your batch volume in your kettle if you plan to mash in it, and 2x if you will only boil in it ... since you like big beers.

It sucks to be at capacity - don't put yourself there from day one.
I'll PM you about the MM.

Totally agree with GM. The turkey pot I first used was 7 or 7.5 gallons and it would boil over on 5 gallon batches.

Usually 7 gallon in the pot, boil down to 6 into a 6.5 gallon carboy fermenter, then 5-5.5 bottled or to a secondary.

8 would be cutting it close. Especially when it's just 10 buck more.

I'm using a corona mill at the moment, but I'd like a roller mill so I'm crushing instead of tearing. I think I'm losing out on some efficiency, plus that big boy has more capacity.

Grass Snake said:

No cyber monday deal? Too much...

Are you considering the weight of things? ...

I think 20 lbs per gallon is a ballpark for water if I'm not mistaken ...

My 10 gal SS pot that I just bought weighs 25 lbs, I think I saw ...

With 6 gallons of water in it - it was damn heavy to move without splashing 170F mash-out liquor onto myself ...

That's for a 3 gal batch, too ...

So, if you are making 5 gal batches, count on having 10+ gal's of combined volume with the combined weight of the grains and strike water ...

I bet you are talking 200 lbs ...

You can't have to lift that up to gravity for drainage, that's for sure ...

So, if you don't spend $160 on a *VERY* effective immersion-type wort chiller, then you are looking at spending 3x that much for a system (plate chiller) requiring a pump ...

Food for thought ..

I love the concept of a good tiered system that KISS using gravity and avoids pumping ...

I say that from being on the other side, with a pump ...

It has to be setup correctly to work well ... so you have to think through it very clearly ...

a nice setup with a cooler up high to mash into, a 2nd tier height boil kettle, and a fermenter on the ground - definitely works - but it's predicated on being able to built a nice two-tier stand that can manage the weight ... or, welding ...

Yeah. With the turkey pot I put it up on my tailgate with the chiller on the bumper and carboy on the ground. Worked great. On the burner stand it's about 10" too short.

Eventually I'll just build a rig on a cart with multiple pumps.

Baby steps.

Okay ... a pot with grain enough for strong beer, plus water, and the pot itself (should be a nice rigid-walled pot with a tri-ply base etc) is like 15+48+25 is still almost 100 lbs ...

100 lbs of immensely splash-able boiling sugar-water is not something to hand carry ... that's fo shizzle ...

Gravity is both friend and enemy ...

PS - that's 100 lbs for a 3 gallon batch in a 10 gallon SS pot, and he's talking about doing 5 gallons, which means everything is heavier (pot, water, and grain) and the handles are even further apart ...

Yeah. I lifted my keggle with the 8 gallon batch of breakfast stout and I will never do that again lol. Easy to burn yourself or slip or something. Not to mention it's horrible for your back.

Now all I've thought about today is setting up a brew station lol. I think I've got it figured out now. :rofl:

Ozzy2001 said:
Yeah. I lifted my keggle with the 8 gallon batch of breakfast stout and I will never do that again lol. Easy to burn yourself or slip or something. Not to mention it's horrible for your back.

Now all I've thought about today is setting up a brew station lol. I think I've got it figured out now. :rofl:

Yuuuup ... on both counts.

Been finalizing my plans since I before I set out to brew the other night, but even more since ...

I have a fever and the only prescription ...

00d0d_9R5qOvvQgnV_600x450.jpg

Think I'll go with this 1000 gallon, like they say "go big or go home"

Back