• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Lower branches... disappearing?

Anyone know what could be causing this? A while back after some neglect to my "secondary" garden, I got back to find that all of its lower stems were gone, with only a couple at the top. Weeds were starting to get out of hand by that time too. Just now, I noticed some of the branches on my plants in my more properly-maintained (ie. weeded) garden could be going missing. So far it's not devastating, but if something is out there damaging these plants one by one I'd like to find it and destroy...

Would hornworms eat stems, or just leaves? Rabbits? Raccoons? Groundhogs? I thought most (if not all) insects and animals ate leaves, not the stems (and leaves)...

Hornworn caterpillars eat stems and leaves just the same, but I find most in the canopy not lower stems. You did not mention deer, time to set up a motion sensor camera to see what is going on.

Hornworn caterpillars eat stems and leaves just the same, but I find most in the canopy not lower stems. You did not mention deer, time to set up a motion sensor camera to see what is going on.
I live in the city, and while I have seen deer in certain nearby areas near the woods, I've never seen one around here (and seriously doubt they're around here). I kind of doubt it's deer. I don't really have anything for surveilance/extra protection from mammals, but in case it's hornworms, I guess I'm going on a quick hunt right now. I can hardly find the ones right in front of my face perfectly centered in all the pictures I've seen of them online (it's like Where's Waldo, but in this case they're big, smack dab in the center of the image, and *still* hard to spot)--so my luck with find them outside on actual plants will probably be minimal. :confused:

I'd bet on bunnies or squirrels along with the big caterpillars. Are the plants in pots or elevated anyway? Sounds like what ever is eating them can't reach any higher than the lower branches.

Good luck.

I'd bet on bunnies or squirrels along with the big caterpillars. Are the plants in pots or elevated anyway? Sounds like what ever is eating them can't reach any higher than the lower branches.

Good luck.
Hmmm... well, there are lots of squirrels. And by lots, I mean there are tons of them around here. They can constantly be seen roaming tree branches and telephone lines, and they can often be heard communicating (fighting?) with other squirrels. There's a massive, thick bush right beside the primary garden, but I don't often see much there except for the cats laying down in the shade (it attracts birds and bugs more than anything else, I think). The plants are in the ground, and not really elevated (though the sidewalk just in front of the bush is slightly lower ground, but I wouldn't really consider that elevated), and they're not in a raised bed.

There are plenty of groundhogs around here, which seem to inhabit the local rundown and poorly maintained buildings, including garages, holes in porches, etc.; in fact, I caught the bastards using a hole near our back door under the house for cover. Yes, this is a pretty pathetic, rundown, poorly-maintained town with lots of hiding spots/shelter for the rodents... probably every house and garage within the block has good sheltered locations where these things can enter, but shouldn't (like broken windows), and keep them safe. Something demolished my sunflower last year, and I'm pretty sure it was a groundhog. The reason? It was planted right near that hole I mentioned beside the back door, and the stem was completely snapped--twice; the second time while staked. I doubt a little rabbit or squirrel would do that to a 3 or 4 foot, relatively strong-stemmed sunflower plant (especially with a bamboo for support).

Back