• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Mail damaged seeds?

I ordered some CARDI seeds from Spain and they arrived today, finally. The only problem is, 7 of the 10 were crushed terribly, broken to bits/powdered, can any of the bits be saved? The 3 that were good still went into grow mix, hopefully they sprout.

Ciao Matt-

I don't know how much genetic material they need to sprout, but I think if they're really just bits, probably not. It's a good idea to check with people you trade with for their mailing methods and suggest wrapping in bubble wrap to ensure safe viable seed on arrival. When you order stuff, maybe put that on the form, but you can't always control people's methods. It sure doesn't hurt to ask, though.

He used a buble pack mailer, but it looks like someonedecided to cram this envelope into the ashtray of the mail truck or something. I emailed the seller and will see what comes of it. I am by no means blaming the seller, I am blaming moronic postal workers that touched my seed package.

Plant the bit and pieces you might be suprised in a week. I have received seed that I swore was pulverized and lush green seedling emerged from the heap.

I was sent some black naga seeds by a member in England a while back. When I recieved them they too were pretty crushed, but I picked the best of them and planted that. Even the good ones were cracked and corners were missing off the seed, but all 4 I planted sprouted. If they are somewhat whole, maybe they can still sprout, but if they are just tiny bits, probably not.

Good luck!
jacob

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Plant the bit and pieces you might be suprised in a week. I have received seed that I swore was pulverized and lush green seedling emerged from the heap.
+1
I've been very surpised with seeds crushed by postal rollers germinating

When I mail seeds I now tell the post office what they are. They mark up the envelope to be hand processed instead of using the postal roller machines. Or so I think they hand process it.......

Back