Mailing pods--How ripe should they be?

My apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong area.

When mailing pods and shooting for optimal freshness I'm assuming that the pods shouldn't be sent completely ripe. They will have 2-3 days to finish ripening and they may become soft if sent completely ripe.

My question relates to how green they should be when sent. I'm sure that a lot of factors come into play here. Most notably would be the weather.

Anyways, I'm just looking for a rough, approximate answer. Let's assume that the temp will be in the mid-80's. Would 75% ripe pods have the best chance of arriving at their destination in the most pristine shape possible?

I usually shoot for something like this. Half ripe is ok too but i haven't had any complaints. Once picked they emit an as ethylene gas that finishes them off once picked. I was told once crammed into a box they sit in the gas and finish up in a snap.

CAM01254_zpse94c9235.jpg

CAM01251_zpsc0e3ce9c.jpg

I sent my first pods ever out a week ago from Monday I picked um at 7 30 am and shipped um out at 9am that morning they made it from Arkansas to california in 2 days. and they were fully ripe when I picked um they made it there in great condition.

So I'm taking it that there's a great deal of flexibility here. Pods do ripen in transit so some green is OK. At the same time, they stay in pristine condition for awhile so there's a decent window in which to send them and have them arrive in stellar condition. Thanks everyone.

I prefer to pick mine 2-3 days from full ripe. This goes for mailing or any other time. Preferably I will pick them and process them at that point. I have found that point is the peak pf flavor for most varieties I grow. No green for me but not blood red or orangish yellow.

Justaguy said:
I prefer to pick mine 2-3 days from full ripe. This goes for mailing or any other time. Preferably I will pick them and process them at that point. I have found that point is the peak pf flavor for most varieties I grow. No green for me but not blood red or orangish yellow.
I do the same for almost all my pods. It really is the best of both worlds from all the testing I have done. The peak of perfection!

Back