• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Mailing seeds outside the US

DatilDaddy

Banned
Looking to send and recieve from Brazil. I heard I could just mail them as a letter? Is this the best way to do it, and are there any risks?

I dont see the need for a bubble envelope for seeds anyway, could someone meybe explain that one to me too?

Postal roller crush seeds. Sending out of country I send seeds inside a birthday card with a small amount of bubble wrap or other padding

Never knew about postal roller. Makes sense.

Best place to get bubble envelopes? Are they at a dollar store or walmart, or at the post office?

You can buy bubble envelopes at your local post office. I think they sell them for about $1.50 each.

I was reading that from some other country down south, that you had to fill out some type of Small Amount Seed application to receive seeds in the US from that particular country. It's weird because I just read it yesterday. I will try to find the link for you if I remember where I got it.

Yep, here it is: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Capsicum-frutescens-HOT-wild-bird-pepper-100-seeds-/110331985346?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19b04c7dc2

Mainly:
All small seed shipments into the USA require a small seeds import
permit. These are free and they are also the law. See end of page for
online links for the free permit.

Now I don't know how true this is but:
In the United States, up to 50 seeds can be sent to USA legally
providing you have a USA 'Small lots of seed' permit that lasts up to
3 years. This is relatively easy for USA people to obtain.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ppq/Q37/smalllotsseed.html

According to the rules for the USDA SMALL LOTS shipment, a person can
have 50 seeds per packet and up to 50 packets, properly labeled,
preferably clear packaging and shipped at once to ENTER the USA. We
are happy to pack in this fashion if you request it.

You must have an import permit or the seeds will be destroyed. Here is
a link for sending small lots of seed into the USA.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/plants/plant_imports/smalllots_seed.shtml

PPQ 587 Permt

Application for permit to import plants or plant products.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/permits/ppq_epermits.shtml

Apply on line or through the mail. Permits are free and may prevent
customs seisure.

How to Apply for a Small Lots of Seed Permit: For fastest turn around
time, apply on-line at https://epermits.aphis.usda.gov/epermits.
Alternately, use PPQ Form 587, Application for Permit to Import Plants
or Plant Products. On the first line of section 3 of the application,
enter "SMALL LOTS OF SEED PROGRAM". Starting on the second line, list
the seed species and countries from which you want to ship each
species. If the list of species is long, you may enter "eligible
taxa". By using this option, you are accepting responsibility for
determining the eligibility of the seeds. The Permit Unit cannot tell
you if the species are eligible for importation if you do not list
them. A permit is issued for taxa that are admissible with no
restrictions beyond the port of entry inspection. If port of entry
inspectors find prohibited or restricted seeds in your shipment, they
will seize and destroy the ineligible kinds.

How novel, but It's not about government intervention.
I just sent some powder to Brazil, and I had to fill out a customs form.
There is a laundry list of things that Brazil does not allow shipped into THEIR country,
KoolAid, Chocolate, Meat, etc etc etc.
I don't know about seeds, you'll have to find that out when you go to the P.O.
It also says, that they have the right to open and inspect your parcel, so if they hear seeds rattling around, they might want to inspect.
By signing the Customs form, you are liable if you try to break the rules, so do your homework!

armac, I don't think the problem is sending seeds from the US elsewhere but if he's trading seeds, then there might be a problem getting his seeds from another country.

There is a laundry list of things that Brazil does not allow shipped into THEIR country,
By signing the Customs form, you are liable if you try to break the rules, so do your homework!

That's right, I just read about how Brazil no likey American products being sent to their country...or saw it on TV somewhere.

I found this: http://brazil.visahq.com/customs/

Wow. Pretty informative website lilcholo. It cleary said (Prohibited &Restricted) 'Plant Products', hmmm not sure what I would do....

So where do I get the form?

They require it at the P.O. They have them there, and can help you fill it out.

Never knew about postal roller. Makes sense.

Best place to get bubble envelopes? Are they at a dollar store or walmart, or at the post office?
walmart 67 cents .
It also says, that they have the right to open and inspect your parcel, so if they hear seeds rattling around, they might want to inspect.
ya sent some powder to canada the other day and had to fill out that form,wierd as it was first time?

I just received seeds from Trinidad last month. France and Korea a while back. If you mail something and do not make conspicuous, there will be no problem.

I agree with armac just send a greeting card with seeds inside.( in baggies of course) should be no problem. have sent to canada many times no problem.

Do you really want to risk it? If you are receiving them, just get the free permit... I am applying for one, and have to drive to the USDA field office which is about 20-30 minutes away... But still, well worth it.

Declaring seeds etc. can be a problem too, make sure you fill out all the paper-work exactly perfect. Some customs agents are chileheads too, we've seen things go missing in the past :( I know a lot of Aussies were having tonnes of problems a few years ago and most of them recommended discreet packaging like a birthday card.
If you get caught, they may destroy the seeds, or they may still get sent.

I think for such a small exchange as iI am doing its worth the risk. Just got off the phone with USDA and seems like a lot of trouble to go through, especially without a car now.

-Create online account (done)
-Get Level 2 accesss (pending)
-Go two towns over with ID card and username (cant)
-Fill out claim form (ok)
-Lost interest

Seeing how a lot of people have no problems I guess its worth a try right?

Back