• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

powder-flake Making Aleppo pepper flakes?

Well, I have a couple of Aleppo plants that are starting to produce.
Looking to make some crushed Aleppo flakes/powder.

8_18Aleppo_zps9mti9gxq.jpg

Has anyone else done this?
Is there any special drying process or just put them in the dehydrator and come back 12 hours later?
Should I remove seeds first?
Should I cut up the pepper or leave it whole during the drying process?

I know, I am probably overthinking this.  :P

I'm growing it for the first time this year, and I'm drying the pods to make powder. Here's how I'm doing it, and I'd appreciate knowing if anyone thinks I'm not doing it correctly. I don't get enough ripe pods at one time to fire up the dehydrator. I've been cutting them lengthwise, removing the seeds, and letting them air dry in my air-conditioned house. They seem to be keeping their color as they dry. Once I get enough dry pods, I'll powder them.

kentishman said:
I'm growing it for the first time this year, and I'm drying the pods to make powder. Here's how I'm doing it, and I'd appreciate knowing if anyone thinks I'm not doing it correctly. I don't get enough ripe pods at one time to fire up the dehydrator. I've been cutting them lengthwise, removing the seeds, and letting them air dry in my air-conditioned house. They seem to be keeping their color as they dry. Once I get enough dry pods, I'll powder them.

You can also cut and deseed like you are doing and freeze them.  Once you have enough for a full load in your dehydrator just take em out of the freezer and dehydrate.  

Those would be interesting as a powder or flake. I wonder how much of the smokey raisin flavor they would retain. I love their raw taste, so I just cut a bunch of mine into rings last night along with a couple of other varieties and placed them into a simple brine. Let us know how the powder turns out. 

I have some crushed from my local store but they taste like nothing to me. The flavor and heat totally gets lost on pizza. I tried them alone and there is that raisiny taste as mentioned above, like a mild sundried tomato, with very little heat. I stopped using them.

SL3 said:
Those would be interesting as a powder or flake. I wonder how much of the smokey raisin flavor they would retain. I love their raw taste, so I just cut a bunch of mine into rings last night along with a couple of other varieties and placed them into a simple brine. Let us know how the powder turns out. 

Flaked Aleppo is one of my favorite things ever.  They retain some of that smokey/raisin-y flavor - similar to ancho imo but a little warmer.  I cut them into quarters and toss em in the dehydrator seeds and all.  About 4 days later they come out perfect.  

I've also stuffed them with spiced ground lamb, farro and spring onions and baked them in tomato sauce - DEEEEELISH!!!!

Back