commercial-kichen Making Hot Sauce in a commercial kitchen in California

Hello everyone. This is my first post and am looking for guidance on the manufacturing side of my sauce. A quick background on where I'm at in getting my business going. I live in Northern California (Silicon Valley). I have my LLC complete, my EIN with the Feds, my CA tax ID #, and have my business license in my city. I pretty much have all the legal business side of things done. Now I'm looking for manufacturing.

I originally wanted to use a copacker so they can handle most if not all the legal side of it but cant find a local place that does low volume that I want to start out. With this, I am looking into making and bottling in a commercial kitchen. My question is once I find a kitchen, what is required from an FDA and California standpoint to legally sell the sauce made in the commercial kitchen.

I know I need to have the nutritional analysis, pH test, and keep a record of the batch making (processing temps & times, ingredient lot traceability...). Once I have a batch made and documented, am I legally allowed to sell or do I need to register with the state and FDA? 

From a labeling standpoint, I read the FDA guidelines but looks like I'm exempt due to low volume but I still will have ingredients, nutritional info, manufacturing location and possibly a barcode. 

Any info you can provide is helpful. I really appreciate the help!

I don't know as I'm in Florida but you probably want to check out where you can store your sauce. I've heard that you can't always take it home and park it in the garage.

LDHS is based out of Cali I believe. He could probably chime in. Salsa Lady is in WA but she is also very knowledgeable about these things too, seeing how she has her own commercial kitchen.

Good luck to you and welcome!!!

X post this in the introduction section as well so more people can get to know you!

Welcome!

quick post as I gotta get to work-

Your next step should be to get a process authority to review your recpe/sauce/process.  Based on ingredients, and pH, that will dictate if you chan hot fill/hold or if other processing is required. 

If you can Hot Fill/Hold then find a commercial kitchen to use.  It doesn't have to be a full on shared use kitchen, think out of the box.  Church, fire hall, restaurant after hours, masonic/elks lodge.  anything with a licensed kitchen will work.

Find out who your AHJ is (authority having jurisdiction).  In WA depending on how and where you want to sell dictates who will oversee your licensing.  You probably will have to get FDA registered but it's not that big of deal.  Most likely you will be licensed through the state Dept of Ag.

NIPs and bar codes are NOT REQUIRED!!!  Good idea yes, but they can always be added later.  Free FDA exemption required, ingredients, address, etc.  Your AHJ will tell you what's needed. 

good luck
salsalady

Back