• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

dried making own Chipotle

Im going to ggrow some Jalepenos this year in order to make my own Chipotles. What kind of wood is need to smoke the Jalepenos to make Chipotle peppers?

You can use all sorts of wood types and get different flavors but just smoking jalapenos doesn't really give you chipotles, just smoked peppers. To be true chipotles they should be smoke dried for days in the traditional Mexican ways with the right woods and smoke pits
There is a sticky in the BBQ section on wood types that you should probably read

I like and use Hickory or Pecan...on the smoker for several hours, then in the dehydrator on fairly low setting to finish them...when they are "crisp" I grind them...

I like to make sure they are fully corked and red before I smoke them..

I take them whole and place them on cooking grids on a smoker runnung at 200 F with pecan. After about 2 hour or so, I take them off and then place in a dehdrator. Then, I let let them go on the dehydrator at about 45 hours to dry completely. Then, I freeze them. When I want chipotle, I take them out out of the freezer and cook them down with apple vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, onion, and catsup to make chlpotles in adobo sauce. You can store them in the fridge for several weeks and make all kinds of chipotle seasoning....

I usually use milder fruit wood and try to cold smoke the pods for several days until they are dry. If you only plan to smoke for a few hours, I'd suggest trying a stronger flavored wood like mesquite or hickory

I've only ever used Mesquite as well. I'll have to try some different woods this year to see how the flavor is impacted.
I can get Pecan scraps for free, might as well try it.

Back