• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Making potting mix Pulverised lime?

Capsicum

Banned
I have long used granular limestone to balance ph in the peatmoss I use for making a grow medium. I used 2 tbl sp per gal of peat.

Anyone ever make their own grow media using powdered lime? I hear it acts quiker so wanted to use it.Just mixed up a batch of mix and used 2 tblsp per gal of peatmoss and added water. I am thinking now I used too much because it is powdered and there would be more over all lime per scoop of tbl sp. There is some composted horse manure and some potting mix I used in the mix too so the manure should help with the ph buffering.

Also does anyone top dress their container grown chiles with pulverised lime in the season to keep ph good and add extra Ca/Mg. I never have but just read 6 weeks after plants have been in the same potting mix it is good to topdress with a little powdered limestone. I think if I used powdered limestone to make my mix I may need to topdress 6 weeks later because it may wash out faster then granular limestone but may act quiker?

Any thoughts would be helpfull.

I throw about a cup and a half into my big containers of 65 gal. 16 tblsp to a cup So I seem a little lightr on my mix than you, but Im a moderation kind of person. Also I use far les peat than most growers. You seem about right though for a mainly peat mix.

I throw about a cup and a half into my big containers of 65 gal. 16 tblsp to a cup So I seem a little lightr on my mix than you, but Im a moderation kind of person. Also I use far les peat than most growers. You seem about right though for a mainly peat mix.

Hey thanks. What kind of a mix do you use? Yes, mine is a lot of peatmoss and some compost and perlite.

Back