• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Making powders

How do you guys make your powders? I realize now that smoking them would have been better than just drying them out, but its too late now. Do you grind the seeds? Do you add other seasonings to them for flavor, or just keep it pure?

I made 4 small bags of Brain Strain and 4 reapers. They are hot as all Hell, would like to get them a little tastier if possible. 

2AD204D7-AF23-4E12-8FB7-C449837E7393-808-0000008AAA1C9E03_zps5261064a.jpg

eapers_zps1f1af4d3.jpg

I have 4-5x as many chocolate scorpions drying now, they should be dust by tuesday :)

I smoke some, add garlic and seasoning to some, add other varieties to some. I have even added mrs. dash and other seasoning or added it to salt and smoked both.  Just play around and have fun it's all good eating. I never had bad powder....

Cant go wrong with garlic, haha!

What ratio do you mix with the pepper powder? 1:1, 1:2?

I dont want to add too much, so I guess I will go a little at a time 

I keep most of my super hot powder pure. A little goes a long way with that stuff.

Some I mix with salt for a hot salt
Some I mix with onion and garlic- usually the milder annuum powders.
Some I only rough chop into flakes and use just like you would use red pepper flakes, just hotter. - I do this with hab varieties. Supers might get painful.

Have fun with it.

Some pure powders from this year.

20131219_184111.jpg

You can make different spices with the powder, onion, garlic, and paprika if it needs to be more mild. I have found that smoking prior to drying is best for me, then I make flakes and powder. I avoid making powders from superhots, as no one I know is interested in that. The powder my friends go crazy over is a blend of smoked peppers (sweet, mild, & hot). I also mix scotch bonnet powder, ground thyme, ground allspice, and brown sugar to make a jerk chicken run my friends and family really enjoy.

Cinnamon. Needs more Cinnamon. Can be very tasty if you also mix brown sugar with it. Sweet-spicy taste is amazing.

I just powdered my chocolate moruga scorpions. I had a LOT. I did a grind, mixed in some kosher salt, garlic powder and paprika, did another grind, mixed it all up in a mason jar, did another grind, then bagged it up. I have 14 baggies on the side now :)

VERY hot, very salty, VERY good!

This is fun, I want to make some more this week!

impending_bending said:
Does that second one say "NOT 7 Pot Yellow"? I can't figure it out lol

Yes it does. Last year I grew some plants from seeds that were labeled as 7 pot yellow. They were no hotter than a hot  hab so I don't think they are 7 pots. No where near the heat of the yellow brainstrains that I grew right next to them. Since I have no idea what they actually are, I just call them "not 7 pot yellow". Great tasting pepper for fish. It goes on almost all the fish I cook.

I need to find some small glass jars. I like the idea of them being all sealed up nice and tight. I can only imagine one of these baggies busting open and getting in my wifes face or something. There would be hell to pay to say the least!

Jeff H said:

Yes it does. Last year I grew some plants from seeds that were labeled as 7 pot yellow. They were no hotter than a hot  hab so I don't think they are 7 pots. No where near the heat of the yellow brainstrains that I grew right next to them. Since I have no idea what they actually are, I just call them "not 7 pot yellow". Great tasting pepper for fish. It goes on almost all the fish I cook.
lmao I suppose that makes sense

Powder so you can't smoke? That is debatable and difficult.

Now on to the garlic.......slice cloves in half and place on a tray in the smoker.... Apple smoked garlic that has been dried and powdered= YUMMM. Chestnut smoked garlic = WHY would someone need plain garlic??

Have fun

Justaguy said:
Powder so you can't smoke? That is debatable and difficult.

Now on to the garlic.......slice cloves in half and place on a tray in the smoker.... Apple smoked garlic that has been dried and powdered= YUMMM. Chestnut smoked garlic = WHY would someone need plain garlic??

Have fun

Smoked garlic....whoa!
tumblr_inline_mu0becJlVz1rjgdwl.png

Back