Mamma Mia Giallo/Kung Pao

Happened across these yesterday. The Mamma Mia I thought i knew but its a sweet pepper, the Kung Pao however I used to have some years ago and loved it, the last seeds I had from them didn't take so gonna be more careful this time. These are like Great Cayennes at 10000 Scovilles.

P1110398_Peppers-1000_zpslxqyx2ht.jpg

I have two Kung Pao plants growing right now. They are about 18" tall already. I didnt top them so ill be staking these suckers for sure. 

I bought a couple more of them yesterday (Kung Pao) Hope to have a nice crop this year :)
Just hope my Habaneros grow quick enough.

Is Kung Pao the pepper that's used in the Chinese dish Kung Po? The peppers are dried and cooked with the dish (at least in the restaurant where I get it).

Their used in many Thai dishes, In general they dont mention the type of chilies used in the Chinese dishes I found.
Their recently introduced hybrid so they dont have a long history in old cooking.
Sichuan pepper and general "red dried chili" peppers are used for Kung Pao dishes and originated in the Sichuan Province of SW China.

ako1974 said:
Is Kung Pao the pepper that's used in the Chinese dish Kung Po? 
Yes

dragonsfire said:
Their used in many Thai dishes,
Nope.  many foreigner said kung pao is perfect for thai dish but i don't think so.  
it's not an original taste of thai.

The Momma Mia Gallo are really nice, I grew them two years ago and for some reason my plants grew 5 feet tall.   I got good production and the peppers are enormous so there is that.  

As for the Kung Pao, I'll take those over Cayenne any day of the week.  I have always loved them!

I see the Kung Pao as to how the Cayenne used to taste in the 70's.

@Lek, that's what I read on those sites that talk about its history.

So the new additions so far;
Only four plants survived from last years pots unfortunately, got 5 more seedlings that are a couple inches.

P1110417_Plants-1500_zpsx8nff1ix.jpg

Reactions: lek
lek said:
Yes

Nope.  many foreigner said kung pao is perfect for thai dish but i don't think so.  
it's not an original taste of thai.

Here in Adelaide, in Thai stores all you can buy are birds eye

Reactions: lek
Back