• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

color Mango Scotch Bonnet Sauce losing color/flavour

I have a mango sauce that loses it's color and flavor after about 3 weeks.  I understand that sauces will lose flavor over time but the sauce in the top 1/2 inch of each bottle is going from a yellow to a whitish almost grayish color.

The sauce
   - mango
   - scotch bonnet
   - equal parts of vinegar and water
   - a couple drops of olive oil

I've followed all procedures to safely bottle the sauce (cooking, sterilizing and hot filling)

Is there any way to prevent such a fast change in color?  Perhaps more vinegar?

Thanks

I used the oil because I found it gave it a nice consistency.  But I think I can achieve this with xanthan gum instead.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm going to try a batch without oil.  I'll keep you posted

Has the bottle been sitting out in sunlight or fluorescent lights? That can deteriorate colors.

Also, try not to use oil in the sauces. There are a lot of other ingredients that can help thicken as well as xanthan, guar, carrageenan. Carrot, apple, yam, okra, cranberry, pumpkin..to name a few...

Good luck and have fun!
SL

I would definitely go with something like xantham gum or guar. Oil is something I want to stay away from in a sauce usually. Just for the simple fact of oil harboring/contributing to food borne illness much easier than a lot of other ingredients.

There's actually more regulated laws and actions while using oil in food production as well.

But on a personal note, at least with the types of sauces I usually make I don't see how a couple drops of oil would help to the consistency as well as something like xantham. Xantham uses a miniscule amount with very big results. Oil, again in my opinion doesn't.

Thanks for the responses.  I'm going to cut out the oil all together
I started using oil because I wanted to have "natural" ingredients.  I didn't know much about gums at the time.

The sauces are not in direct sunlight but they are about 10 feet away from very large windows (so lots of natural light).  I 'll move them to a dark room to see if that helps

What exactly are you wanting "natural Ingredients" for? It appears to me touch are using natural Ingredients.

If it's just the consistencyn, then what consistency are you trying to get? Almost any consistency you want can be achieved without adding oil.

The addition of oil is, usually, going to promote separation without some sort of binder such as xantham etc. At least in my experience.

So, what consistency are you searching for?

Oil in a sauce will separate unless it is drizzled in while blendering for emulsifying, like a salad dressing. This is kind of redundant since the OP has said the oil will be eliminated, which is a good call.

As far as using "natural" ingredients, most gums, thickeners and emulsifiers are made from actual natural ingredients. Boss posted a good Sticky in this forum. For example...carrageenan is seaweed. We saw a Floyd On Food TV episode where the chef made a pudding using seaweed as the thickener.

That's what a lot of people don't know. Most of that stuff is natural. I know xantham gum is made by fermenting base sugars.

That's about all I know though :)

So you guys are saying take the capsaicin oil out of the hot peppers for sauce making?

:seeya:

Back